New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.6 - Dock main icons

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cdgarcia09

cdgarcia09 is on a distinguished road

running snow leopard...

on an old macbook of mine i located a terminal code or cheat of some type that allowed me to keep the (far right side) icons of "applications, documents, downloads" as a specified folder no matter what...... I.E... everytime you download something, the download picture changes.

not to be picky but this is a tad annoying, and yes i want the stacks to keep working, i LOVE that part... i'd just like to have the same icons all the time

i know it has something to do with replacing the icon with the one you want, and editing the modified date to far far away so when organized by date they will stay the same.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

You can try the date trick or the naming of an icon image to 0_blah_blah_blah to 'encourage it to stay at the top of the stack.

Alternatively try this page:
keeping my custom leopard stack overlays in front! | justin hileman dot info

It has links to some nice icons and a folder script to keep the icon of choice at the front.

HTH

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
cdgarcia09

following those instructions are confusing as ****.. lol, still can't get it accomplished but thats in the correct direction in terms of what i'm looking for.... any easier step by step directions that actually work for snow leopard??
QUOTE Thanks
cdgarcia09

ok so i figured it out.... after quite a bit of research of course..

for those interested in the whole "drawer/stacks, keep a specific icon on top" trick.... and yes this worked on snow leopard, here are the steps to follow

1. Simply download your icon packages, once open, select the icon you want and drag/drop into the ACTUAL folder of what you want the icon to apply to

2. Go to this link XD - Stacks Overlays
and follow the instructions word for word....

3. VOILA! your finished and you now have drawers which stay in front at ALL times and make your dock look clean and classy.....

hope this helps!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Doubled pull down options, windows-like boxing - Flip4Mac | Screen Dim »