New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.6 - Intermittent error noise (funk default tone)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Every now and again getting the "funk" default error tone for no reason.
When this occurs, it sounds every 1-2 minutes.
The sound is the same one that you get when trying to push a button while there is an item on open waiting for you to click ok, or finish, etc

To hear the sound I am referring to, go to System/Library/Sounds/Funk.aiff

Would love a solution if anyone has one.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

ANYONE?
...I ran a hardware test, and went through all the troubleshooting methods in the sticky thread, as well as a clean install, as well as much googling, which found a few with similar issues, but no solutions.
I have no third party apps that mess with the operating system or hardware, other than SMC Fan Controller, which was installed after this error started occurring.
However, below is a list of all the installed 3rd party apps in case someone sees that one of these may be the cause:
AppCleaner, Carbon Copy Cloner, Firefox, Frostwire, LiveQuartz, MacTheRipper, Microsoft Messenger, Microsoft Office, Monolingual, Skype, SMC Fan Control, Toast Titanium, VLC, Vuze, WMV Player, Yahoo Messenger.
I know it doesn't have to be said, but any help would of course be much appreciated, as I have run out of ideas!
QUOTE Thanks
anya

anya is on a distinguished road

hi
i have the same issue. it's not really a problem, as the noise goes away after beeping a few times. but as there's no reason whatsoever why this should be happening, i'd also like to fix it. so if anyone has any idea what could be causing it, it'd be great to know.
cheers,
anya
QUOTE Thanks
6string

bump LOL
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

When it happens, I'd have a look at Activity Monitor to find out what processes are running. That's likely to be your best shot at discovering whatever background process is responsible.

You might also note the exact time of the beeps and check the system logs to see if an error is reporting at that time.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

I appreciate the input chas_m
..... but when I look at activity monitor I only know the apps that I know I have. When I am seeing the other processes like mdworker etc, I don't know what they are, or what they are connected to. So, if there were a process that shouldn't be be running, I wouldn't know, unless CPU or memory was getting sucked dry so to speak.
As for Console, I wouldn't know what to look for or where, so I'd be scrolling through the left column and looking for anything that matched the exact time and date in all the different logs. LOL
Yes, I am lost when it comes to all that techie stuff, but I will note the time next time that funk sound comes up, and do my best to track down something.
I'm wondering, how long the process would stay in the Activity monitor window as it is such a quick sound..... However, I will take a snapshot of the window and post it anyway in hope that maybe there is something there that stands out to you as a possible cause for the alert sound.
Thanks
Kane
QUOTE Thanks
yoda

yoda is on a distinguished road

I am having same issue, I have a few custom things though. Growl, istatmenu, vmware, couple of growl plugins
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Updates - Extension Needed | downgrade to leopard »