Junk Files In System Folder/Library Folder
    I am fairly new to Macs and not exactly a "power user" so I was wondering if anyone could explain to me if it is ok/possible to clean up all the files that are stored in the Library/System folder when doing just about EVERYTHING on the internet. There are files from flash player, caches, preferences, and tons of other stuff I have no real idea about. I just see files from sites I visited who knows when and is just stored. Why? There are also files from applications and all kinds of stuff. Thanks for the help!

Specs:
    late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by nextiger View Post
    I am fairly new to Macs and not exactly a "power user" so I was wondering if anyone could explain to me if it is ok/possible to clean up all the files that are stored in the Library/System folder when doing just about EVERYTHING on the internet.
    Never touch anything in the System folder. If you do, you're asking for trouble especially if you aren't as you call it a "power user". The same goes for Library to a certain extent but since you are very unfamiliar with Macs, don't delete something if you don't know what it is.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    Never touch anything in the System folder. If you do, you're asking for trouble especially if you aren't as you call it a "power user". The same goes for Library to a certain extent but since you are very unfamiliar with Macs, don't delete something if you don't know what it is.
    Thats why Im asking if someone can explain some of this stuff to me so I can learn more about the internal workings of Macs. I generally know about computers and how they work/file storage, etc. Just want to know more about it so I can make my computer run optimally. Thanks

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    This would be a good start for understanding the directory structure in OS X.

If you want your machine to run optimally, use a tool designed for that. There is no need to risk damage by manually manipulating files in directories that you are completely unfamiliar with. I consider myself fairly proficient with OS X for example but I would never manipulate the files in /System by hand.

EDIT: Can't hurt to read this either.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

clean mac unwanted applications
    Quote Originally Posted by nextiger View Post
    I am fairly new to Macs and not exactly a "power user" so I was wondering if anyone could explain to me if it is ok/possible to clean up all the files that are stored in the Library/System folder when doing just about EVERYTHING on the internet. There are files from flash player, caches, preferences, and tons of other stuff I have no real idea about. I just see files from sites I visited who knows when and is just stored. Why? There are also files from applications and all kinds of stuff. Thanks for the help!

To clean up all the files that are stored in library folder you have to delete it manually but you have written that you are not more familiar with Mac OS then you can take help of third party application software.

Thread Information