New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Issues after visiting questionable website

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

virtuosaywhat

virtuosaywhat is on a distinguished road

Hey all,

My friend sent me a link to a site that was in fact a video of some rather questionable material. It wasnt one of those tricky sights that wont close or whatever, but since he sent it my computer has been very abnormal

I dont know if I have a trojan or something from the site
BUT
My computer isn't starting up as quickly as it could/should - its a MacBook Pro.
Occasionally it freezes up now, which it has never done before in the past. I have used Onyx to clean out my registries and stuff. I tried using TimeMachine to restore my hard disk from a month ago - before the issue, and had no such luck. Can anyone tell me of some sort of utility that would clear this little bugger out of my registry (if in fact it exists) or .. just off my computer?

I dont have an antivirus on my computer - at the moment I'm on a tight budget, but if anyone knows one that runs well with a mac and doesnt eat up too much memory i'd be glad to hear of it - i use my macbook as a recording studio, so I like to have as much of my processor free as possible!
Thank you!!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

There is no registry on Mac OS X (or any operating system aside from Windows).

There are a couple of trojans for OS X right now, but they require that you install a special "player". You'd have known if you did this since it requires you to download a file, install it to your system and enter your administrator password.

If you didn't do that, your computer is likely fine. If you did, that's another story.

Give us a little more detail about the sequence of events - and please, watch the colorful language.

Thanks.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
virtuosaywhat

virtuosaywhat is on a distinguished road

Sorry CWA**
I forget that this is a family forum.

I didn't download or install anything so I guess that might mean I am ok.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuosaywhat View Post
Sorry CWA**
I forget that this is a family forum.

I didn't download or install anything so I guess that might mean I am ok.
Cool.

I would definitely purge Safari's cache just to be on the safe side. The easiest way to do this is to click the Safari menu and click "Reset Safari". This will erase all of your passwords and forms data for different websites, but IMO, it's best to be on the safe-side if it was particularly seedy.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Desktop Window quitting | boot problem - tiger hangs @ startup screen »