New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Upgrade OS Question


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
Steel02001
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

For those of you who have been mac users much longer than I, I have a question.

Typically switching OS's is tricky, finicky and an all out pain in anyones ***. On top of this there are usually bugs and what not. And of course all of this I experienced in the windows world. Will I experience all the same problems upgrading to tiger?

The reason for such concern, I take my new powerbook with me to deploy this summer (military) and I want to make sure I dont end up taking along something that is constantly a pain in my ***. Should I upgrade before I go or wait?
QUOTE Thanks
terpfan

 
Member Since: Aug 10, 2004
Posts: 103
terpfan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" PB 1.5, 512 ram, superdrive, one sexy computer!

terpfan is offline
I would assume upgrading to tiger wouldn't be much of a problem. But I am not sure. I have a PB G4 and may upgrade as well. But my question is are you really going to take your PB with you to (I'm assuming Iraq)? Be careful.
QUOTE Thanks
Jefe3223
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

I've never upgraded my computer straight up (I've always bought one at the beginning of an OS life and then a new computer all together at the time of a new OS release [what can i say, my dad likes to buy new things]), however, I'm planning on getting it in the near future for my current machine. I know people who have and they never have any major problems. As with any new OS, there are some things that always will come up, when it's been nationally released, but I'm pretty confedant with this one (i know that doesn't answer your question, but I just wanted to through in my opinion).
QUOTE Thanks
James

 
James's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 26, 2004
Location: Pocola, Oklahoma
Posts: 808
James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

James is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel02001
The reason for such concern, I take my new powerbook with me to deploy this summer (military) and I want to make sure I dont end up taking along something that is constantly a pain in my ***. Should I upgrade before I go or wait?
First off, what is it you want to do on your system that you can't do now?

If the answer is nothing, then why be in a big hurry to change things. If your system does everything you want and runs stable, i would wait a while till after the first or second updates come out for Tiger. It will be much easier to do the updates here than out in the middle of "somewhere" and by then a few of the "quirks" that are always left in a new OS will have been ironed out.

I don't really anticipate any real problems with Tiger, but there are always things to work out once an OS hits the real world.

Now, if your one of those who has to be on the "bleeding edge" then go for it. If it wipes out your system i am sure someone else in the unit will let you borrow their system long enough to send an email...(G)

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
Steel02001
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
First off, what is it you want to do on your system that you can't do now?

If the answer is nothing, then why be in a big hurry to change things. If your system does everything you want and runs stable, i would wait a while till after the first or second updates come out for Tiger. It will be much easier to do the updates here than out in the middle of "somewhere" and by then a few of the "quirks" that are always left in a new OS will have been ironed out.

I don't really anticipate any real problems with Tiger, but there are always things to work out once an OS hits the real world.

Now, if your one of those who has to be on the "bleeding edge" then go for it. If it wipes out your system i am sure someone else in the unit will let you borrow their system long enough to send an email...(G)
Thats a very good point and I hadn't thought of it like that. Thanks for the input. I am leaning torwards waiting.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Tiger on April 29!!!! | Mac Install Question???? »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Old G3 Memory Upgrade question Prophecy Apple Desktops 1 02-04-2005 06:30 PM
hard drive upgrade question TouchNGo Other Hardware and Peripherals 1 01-31-2005 09:49 PM
Processor Upgrade Question Shakermaker Apple Desktops 6 07-06-2004 07:05 PM
iBook G4 800 RAM Upgrade question wickedbusa Apple Notebooks 5 05-06-2004 09:56 AM
12" PowerBook HD Upgrade question livnlrg8ez Apple Notebooks 0 02-16-2004 10:19 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?