New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Mac OS X 10.5.7

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hnic8419

hnic8419 is on a distinguished road

Hello all,
I am new to the forums and any help would be greatly appreciated. I just noticed that most of my applications will not work. I first tried to open itunes and it tried to open then it says that the application quit unexpectedly. At first i thought it was just an itunes problem, then i noticed that all of my applications do the same, except for firefox. I cant even do a software update because it does the same. I have no problem with this starting all over but i only have the reboot disk for the OS before this, because my hard drive crashed and when then put a new one in, it was upgraded to the OS X. Please Help

Thank You,
Andrew
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You need to purchase either a Leopard retail DVD (black color) or the new Snow Leopard. Without a valid install DVD, you can not adequately trouble shoot your Mac. Whatever is causing the applications not to start is probably related to disk or file errors. Both of which require running Disk Utility when booted from the install DVD. (Disk Utility can not make repairs to your hard drive or system files as long as the drive is mounted with OS X running.)

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
hnic8419

hnic8419 is on a distinguished road

How do you feel about the new snow leopard??...and on apple's website it says you can upgrade to snow leopard for $29, is that would i need to do???

Thank You,
andrew
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnic8419 View Post
How do you feel about the new snow leopard??...and on apple's website it says you can upgrade to snow leopard for $29, is that would i need to do??? Thank You, andrew
Many of us are using Snow Leopard and like it very much. To answer your question - yes, if you're currently running Leopard, you can upgrade to Snow Leopard for $29.

However, as I wrote in my other reply, you're probably going to need to do some repairs on your drive or file system. Make sure you take care of the problems first before upgrading to Snow Leopard. In other words, if you buy Snow Leopard, boot your machine from the SL DVD and run Disk Utility First Aid.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« lost all her data while installing 10.6 | How do I give more space to my partition? »