New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - lost all her data while installing 10.6

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

daddy dada

daddy dada is on a distinguished road

Hi Brand new to forum so hello.
My girlfriend is gonna kill me.
I recently got snow leopard for my mac pro.
I haven't had a new OS for ages and remember when you could have it on multiple computers.
Anyway I wanted to test out snow leopard on her mac pro and realized that i had to register this copy to her computer.
I back tracked and reinstalled the original OS10.4 onto hers.
In the panic i must have skipped a back up option and have now lost all her data!
I know this is a long shot but can i retrieve that data?
I downloaded some software and started a test.
I then read that i should stop using it and take it to a recovery place.
Am I wasting my time please if any one can help?
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

If you made a completely clean install, and not an archive and install, then the chances are very very very slim I'm afraid.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You will have to use a program like Data Rescue

Apple - Downloads - System/Disk Utilities - Data Rescue II

You can download a demo and see what the payed for version will be able to get back

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
daddy dada

Should I go to a recovery place or try this stellar phoenix software.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Let Data rescue or that other program do a scan in demo mode, if that doesn't come up with much then talk to a recovery company

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
daddy dada

Just spoke with someone in London and they quoted 275+vat.
they not run any tests as will lose more data.
Does that sound right?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Pity it is under such dire stress!

Yes recovering data is pretty dear and with no guarantee. Here Down Under quotes of $600 to $1000 are pretty common, still as stated with no guarantee of recovering all the data.

Next step is to throw yourself on her bountiful mercy explaining you are just a Mere Male. Think that wikll work?
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Pity it is under such dire stress!

Yes recovering data is pretty dear and with no guarantee. Here Down Under quotes of $600 to $1000 are pretty common, still as stated with no guarantee of recovering all the data.

Next step is to throw yourself on her bountiful mercy explaining you are just a Mere Male. Think that wikll work?
Agreed!
Hopefully she has a back up.... but yep, flowers, chocolates, clean the house before she gets home, a few tears if you can work them up
Us mere males do stuff like this, so hopefully she will be really forgiving and understanding, and all you will need to put up with is being reminded of this every time you have a disagreement!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
Let Data rescue or that other program do a scan in demo mode, if that doesn't come up with much then talk to a recovery company
This.

This will VERY likely work. All you have done is format over it, so the chances of recovering the data without going to a data recovery company is pretty high. I'd try that, if you find the data you want.. pay for the software. 300 quid is likely based on this information, and not recovering from a catastrophic drive failure.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« time machine | Mac OS X 10.5.7 »