Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Operating System (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/)
-   -   lost all her data while installing 10.6 (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/170073-lost-all-her-data-while-installing-10-6-a.html)

daddy dada 10-04-2009 05:54 AM

lost all her data while installing 10.6

Hi Brand new to forum so hello.
My girlfriend is gonna kill me.
I recently got snow leopard for my mac pro.
I haven't had a new OS for ages and remember when you could have it on multiple computers.
Anyway I wanted to test out snow leopard on her mac pro and realized that i had to register this copy to her computer.
I back tracked and reinstalled the original OS10.4 onto hers.
In the panic i must have skipped a back up option and have now lost all her data!
I know this is a long shot but can i retrieve that data?
I downloaded some software and started a test.
I then read that i should stop using it and take it to a recovery place.
Am I wasting my time please if any one can help?

Kevriano 10-04-2009 06:20 AM

If you made a completely clean install, and not an archive and install, then the chances are very very very slim I'm afraid.

louishen 10-04-2009 06:22 AM

You will have to use a program like Data Rescue

Apple - Downloads - System/Disk Utilities - Data Rescue II

You can download a demo and see what the payed for version will be able to get back

daddy dada 10-04-2009 06:23 AM

Recovery

Should I go to a recovery place or try this stellar phoenix software.

louishen 10-04-2009 06:29 AM

Let Data rescue or that other program do a scan in demo mode, if that doesn't come up with much then talk to a recovery company

daddy dada 10-04-2009 07:04 AM

Recovery

Just spoke with someone in London and they quoted 275+vat.
they not run any tests as will lose more data.
Does that sound right?

harryb2448 10-04-2009 05:13 PM

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Pity it is under such dire stress!

Yes recovering data is pretty dear and with no guarantee. Here Down Under quotes of $600 to $1000 are pretty common, still as stated with no guarantee of recovering all the data.

Next step is to throw yourself on her bountiful mercy explaining you are just a Mere Male. Think that wikll work?

6string 10-04-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryb2448 (Post 919063)
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Pity it is under such dire stress!

Yes recovering data is pretty dear and with no guarantee. Here Down Under quotes of $600 to $1000 are pretty common, still as stated with no guarantee of recovering all the data.

Next step is to throw yourself on her bountiful mercy explaining you are just a Mere Male. Think that wikll work?

Agreed!
Hopefully she has a back up.... but yep, flowers, chocolates, clean the house before she gets home, a few tears if you can work them up :)
Us mere males do stuff like this, so hopefully she will be really forgiving and understanding, and all you will need to put up with is being reminded of this every time you have a disagreement!

Dysfunction 10-04-2009 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louishen (Post 918905)
Let Data rescue or that other program do a scan in demo mode, if that doesn't come up with much then talk to a recovery company

This.

This will VERY likely work. All you have done is format over it, so the chances of recovering the data without going to a data recovery company is pretty high. I'd try that, if you find the data you want.. pay for the software. 300 quid is likely based on this information, and not recovering from a catastrophic drive failure.