New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - have notebook now, want to install tiger, like my G5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BluesForDan

BluesForDan is an unknown at this point

back in 2005, when I bought my G5, it came with tiger. i have the original install discs. Can i install tiger on my laptop that I got this year (G4 with 10.3 on it) so both my computers have compatible features? What's the deal when you buy a new computer with the OSX already on it? It is not like I had the choice of the family pack.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesForDan View Post
back in 2005, when I bought my G5, it came with tiger. i have the original install discs. Can i install tiger on my laptop that I got this year (G4 with 10.3 on it) so both my computers have compatible features? What's the deal when you buy a new computer with the OSX already on it? It is not like I had the choice of the family pack.
No you can't. The disk from your G5 is model specific...and should not work on a G4 laptop.

But also...using the same disk to install the OS on two computers is against the Apple EULA.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
BluesForDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
No you can't. The disk from your G5 is model specific...and should not work on a G4 laptop.

But also...using the same disk to install the OS on two computers is against the Apple EULA.

Hope this helps,

- Nick
model specific, really? Is there any way to even buy Tiger anymore for a G4 laptop?
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Probably. Buy the black discs.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
model specific, really? Is there any way to even buy Tiger anymore for a G4 laptop?
You're not looking for "Tiger for a G4 Laptop"...you're just looking for the retail version of Tiger that will install on any Mac that meets the system requirements.

Plenty for sale on e-Bay...just not cheap!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
BluesForDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
You're not looking for "Tiger for a G4 Laptop"...you're just looking for the retail version of Tiger that will install on any Mac that meets the system requirements.

Plenty for sale on e-Bay...just not cheap!

- Nick
holy crap, I just looked 169 to 299 ? Why so much?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Supply & Demand man!...supply & demand!!!

Tiger is still very popular (not as old, ancient, and obsolete as you may have been suggesting in an earlier post)!

As you noticed...Tiger in some cases is selling for more than a new copy of 10.5.

Keep your eye's open though...although still not cheap...I've seen Tiger sell on e-Bay fairly regularly for around $100.

Also be 100% sure your G4 laptop can read DVD's (I'm pretty sure it can)...since Tiger is available on both multiple CD's (more expensive)...and DVD.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Supply & Demand man!...supply & demand!!!

As Nick has said, this is the first rule of marketing and the capitalist system. You have to pay what she is worth. And be very careful you buy the black discs. There are many sellers advertising 'Drop In' and 'Full System' discs which are all silver grey like your G5 discs and are very much model specific.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Quote:
Do you live in the USA? If so I will try and find you a more affordable copy.

Here are 3 auctions that are at least lower in price.

Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger - Full Retail Version DVD M9639Z/A - eBay (item 250505910478 end time Oct-03-09 16:55:25 PDT)

Apple Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger Retail Full Install DVD NEW - eBay (item 320430769431 end time Oct-04-09 17:26:10 PDT)

Apple Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.3 Original Box w/ Full Manul - eBay (item 350258171900 end time Oct-04-09 19:22:19 PDT)
QUOTE Thanks
BluesForDan

thanks for the encouragement. I've checked the laptop and it does play DVDs. Guess I'll be doing some shopping in the hopefully not too distant future.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Slow computer | Seeing double »