Angry Apple G5 Quad 2.5 operating system
    Does anyone know the original OS installation CD's that came with the Apple G5 Quad 2.5 (late 2005) desktop? I need to find the original installed CD's to get my system running again. I bought the computer used, and it came with OS 10.4 (Tiger)already installed. I upgraded to 10.5 (Leopard) about 3 months ago.

Now, I'm having firmware issues and my computer is not able to recognize my hard drives. I been through all of apple's web site suggestions: resetting Pram & nvram and holding down a variety of keys: (option key during start up), (cmd,option, shift and delete keys) etc. Nothing worked. The only thing I haven't tried is original OS CD's.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Original shipping OS for the Quad-Core Powermac G5 was 10.4.2.

Although I'm not really sure what you are looking for in terms of CD's.

I hope that you are not looking for the original "model specific" grey/silver disks that came with the computer...because that really isn't necessary. Yes they are less expensive, but they are probably hard to find.

Just purchase a retail copy of 10.4 or 10.5 and you will be good to go.

By the way...having the original CD's/DVD may or may not help with your problem.

Hope this helps,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB flash memory, 3.3GHz, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra beta.
    It is important if you want to get your hands on Apple Hardware Test which does not seem to be available other than on disc one of the set. For OP information, Apple Hardware Test is version 2.5.2 and the disc version is 1.0 2Z691-5025-A for disc one and 2Z691-5535-A for disc two,

Give Apple a ring and see if you can order the discs. If no drives are recognised boot from the Leopard disc and run Repair Disc and see what is reported.

Hello Harryb2448,

I tried the Leopard disc with no success. It doesn't recognize it either.

So, you think I should get my hands on an Apple Hardware disc instead of the original software that came with the unit. I'll see what I come up with.

Thanks for your response

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Original shipping OS for the Quad-Core Powermac G5 was 10.4.2.

Although I'm not really sure what you are looking for in terms of CD's.

I hope that you are not looking for the original "model specific" grey/silver disks that came with the computer...because that really isn't necessary. Yes they are less expensive, but they are probably hard to find.

Just purchase a retail copy of 10.4 or 10.5 and you will be good to go.

By the way...having the original CD's/DVD may or may not help with your problem.

Hope this helps,

- Nick
    I tried the 10.4 and 10.5 with no success. I can get the icons of both hard drives and the OS X disc. When I click on the OS X disc the fan increases, act like it will process, and then stops processing. I can't seem to get any further than that.

So, maybe you're right; it may not accept the original software either.

Thanks for you response!

Specs:
    Apple Hardware Test is on disc one of the set that originally was issued with the machine. If you have that pop disc one in, reboot and hold down Option after the chimes and you will see a selection of drives and Apple Hardware Test. AHT is not on the Tiger nor Leopard install DVDs. That is the only way to access AHT.

Have you considered ringing Apple and seeing if you can purchase the set quoted?

Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    Apple Hardware Test is on disc one of the set that originally was issued with the machine. If you have that pop disc one in, reboot and hold down Option after the chimes and you will see a selection of drives and Apple Hardware Test. AHT is not on the Tiger nor Leopard install DVDs. That is the only way to access AHT.

Have you considered ringing Apple and seeing if you can purchase the set quoted?
    Contacting Apple is my next step.

Thanks!

Specs:
    That is the go. For some reason Apple makes available only AHT images for download for G4 machines, and not G5 or Intel, unless somebody has a site other than this:-

Apple Hardware Test Images

Hi,

It's some while ago now, but I'm having the same problem. Were you able to find any relevant disc for your Quad?

Thread Information