New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - osx "randomly" wakes up

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bboyreason

bboyreason is an unknown at this point

i have the settings configured to "wake for administrative ethernet access" or something along those lines (only "wake for access" type option)
well, my mac randomly will wake up;
i notice it sometimes in the middle of the night;
does this mean that there is currently malware of some kind already installed?
has my security been compromised?
QUOTE Thanks
wmprice1240

wmprice1240 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB

No.

If you look closely at the message box (at least in 10.6, I can't remember about 10.5), Apple clearly states that the computer will wake up from time to time.
QUOTE Thanks
bboyreason

bboyreason is an unknown at this point

thanks for the reply;
i dont remember seeing that message and i have to wonder, why?
why would the computer need to randomly wake up?
does it matter if the airport is on or not?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Do you have a bluetooth device connected to your computer? It's possible that if the connection drops or the device "moves", it will wake up your machine. For instance, I'm looking for a bluetooth mouse right now and someone had left a review of one mouse stating that this was happening to him with the mouse.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My internet stopped working after installing Snow Leopard | my account began to run slowly »