New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Can't Locate Files To Delete

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mattfromcanada

mattfromcanada is on a distinguished road

I accidently saved some files using HandBrake and MacTheRipper onto a separate Volume. I can't find that volume anywhere on my mac....my external is name "101010" and the other volume is "101010_1" or something like that. I can't find it in Finder and SpotLite won't locate the files. The hard disk space is missing (almost 15gb) and the only access that I have to the volume is through iTunes....for some reason it's the default location for importing....but I cannot delete the files from there. Is there a way to access this or force mount the files?
ty
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

right click on the file in itunes and select show in finder.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
mattfromcanada

It's not actually a file in iTunes....when I select "add file" from iTunes, then it brings up the import window....that's where I see it...
QUOTE Thanks
viWoody

viWoody is on a distinguished road

The very best utility I use all the time for locating files is "EasyFind"
if you know even part of a filename, EasyFind will locate it and allow you to manipulate it.
Hopefully this might help you.
QUOTE Thanks
mattfromcanada

Tried using this program "EasyFind" which don't get me wrong worked great and located files seamlessly....however, it did not find the ones that I wanted and that I KNOW are there....I'm thinking I might need to go to the Apple Store....probably a lot easier to solve if there's someone who can visually see it!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Good luck! Tell them to make Spotlight useful. It's probably something I don't know, but I can't ever get much out of it.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Spotlight rocks. Single most useful program on an Mac. It is a full text index, so that may need maintenance from time to time to work fully, but I no longer waste time looking for programs through menus. Now, go into itunes, click on File, Add to Library. Click on the double arrows at the top where you select the folder. See that? That's the path.

For example... right now on mine its /Users/mike/Documents

mike
QUOTE Thanks
Ekim

Ekim is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD

Did you make them hidden files? If so you wont be able to see them. I know its not really helping per-say, but sometimes things we do to files slips our minds. I know its happened to me a few times -_-'

Best of luck!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Simple solution:

open terminal, type in

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE;killall Finder

that will show all files, hidden or not.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE;killall Finder

will set it back to normal.

mike
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« no sound from headphones | Snow Leopard issues galore »