New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook - My Macbook is suddenly really slow

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lmillado

lmillado is an unknown at this point

Hello everyone, first time poster, long time reader. Anyway, My Macbook is about 2 years old now. It is the white macbook, 2GB RAM, 150GB HD. I have 100GB of memory free, so it is definitely not that issue. I have read so many forums today, but nobody has a clear-cut answer.. Please help!
For the past couple of years, the macbook has been running perfectly fine.. until this morning! Suddenly, typing is just intermittent and delayed, the dock won't appear (as well as the dashboard, expose, and spaces..), and pretty much everything is just horribly delayed/lagged - such as opening applications. I used my macbook just last night, doing my regular routine of surfing on firefox and chatting on msn messenger. Then, I wake up and all of a sudden the system is just out of whack. Any ideas will help.. thanks in advance everyone.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Hmm... done a permissions repair recently? Also, if you still have your system restore discs, boot from those and run the hardware diagnostic test... see if anything is awry.
QUOTE Thanks
lmillado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
Hmm... done a permissions repair recently? Also, if you still have your system restore discs, boot from those and run the hardware diagnostic test... see if anything is awry.
Thanks for the advice. Just a couple of concerns.. every time I wish to do a backup on Time Machine, an error pops up. And so, I have not been able to back up my system. Will doing a permissions repair reformat the system?
QUOTE Thanks
lmillado

Hello everyone, first time poster, long time reader. Anyway, My Macbook is about 2 years old now. It is the white macbook, 2GB RAM, 150GB HD. I have 100GB of memory free, so it is definitely not that issue. I have read so many forums today, but nobody has a clear-cut answer.. Please help!
For the past couple of years, the macbook has been running perfectly fine.. until this morning! Suddenly, typing is just intermittent and delayed, the dock won't appear (as well as the dashboard, expose, and spaces..), and pretty much everything is just horribly delayed/lagged - such as opening applications
. I used my macbook just last night, doing my regular routine of surfing on firefox and chatting on msn messenger. Then, I wake up and all of a sudden the system
is just out of whack. Any ideas will help.. thanks in advance everyone.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

NOTE: Merged crossposts and moved to appropriate forum

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Did you Restart?
QUOTE Thanks
lmillado

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Did you Restart?
yes... countless amounts of time. I have tried shutting down for a couple of hours, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Run Disk Utility or another diagnostic app. Report your results here for more clues.

My knee-jerk recommendation is to go after a plist file, but you've got so many things "out of whack" that all happened at the same time. That makes me think it's something else.
QUOTE Thanks
mrimd

mrimd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13 inch MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Hello Mac peoples.... our 2month old 13" 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 with 4 GB Memory is running too slow to be normal. It takes around 7-10 min to load ny program and its driving me crazy! Anybody out there have any ideas on how to fix it...?
QUOTE Thanks
mrimd

mrimd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13 inch MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

I am having this very problem too. I've run OnyX and fixed disk permissions several times, even run Dr. Web Light to see if I have any viruses. Nothing has helped, it's really slow all the time and takes 7-10 min to load any program. Please help!

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP91.00D3.B08
SMC Version (system): 2.2f41
Serial Number (system): C02J6UCPDTY3
Hardware UUID: 3353AA94-0A22-5EE0-AC60-363AEFF10140
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

-Thought I found the solution,b ut it was only temporary:

you know what, i think i found out it was a corrupt user. this always seems to happen on any mac i use. the original admin user somehow becomes corrupt, gets really slow/glitchy and sucks. i still would like to understand more about stuff like this and why it happens, but no rush.

My situation now:

New user slowly, but surely became the same way now. Sluggish, glitchy, slow, with a 5-7 sec delay to do anything. Standard tasks such as using the finder menu, browsing the web, typing anything, opening any programs takes even longer, about 5-10 min sometime 15. I don't know what to do, this is a brand new Macbook Pro and it should work better than a PC. This is exactly why I made the switch in the first place. BTW, I did use Migrate ast. to transfer everything over from an older Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard, but that shouldn't matter as long as I updated all my programs right.

Any help from anyone would help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Second Time "your computer restarted because of a problem..." | Which version of Safari is required for OS 10.6.8?? »