New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Password Protection!?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kznefkt

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know of a program i can download for free, which will let me place a password on an individual folder or file? I've tried locker and lockonoff, and both don't seem to allow me to just place a password on my documents folder. That's all I want to do.

Anyone know of anything?

Thanks

edit: I'm using Mac OS X if that helps.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Other users on your computer will not see your documents folder. They can only see their own. Do you need your documents folder secure from others using your log in? If so you can remove access highlight documents, click edit from the top function bar, Apple I (info) under permissions click no access. Replace access (read/write) as you like
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

shaun89 will become famous soon enough

thats kind of cheap though, jsut because they can change it back from locked, to read/write.... i've also been looking for a program like that
QUOTE Thanks
kznefkt

Yeah, I know about permissions, but I was looking more for a program where it would do as I said in my first post, which is just let me put passwords on individual folders or files. It's surprising how such a basic action is hard to find, I've searched high and low.

Anyone else?
QUOTE Thanks
dr_springfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznefkt
Yeah, I know about permissions, but I was looking more for a program where it would do as I said in my first post, which is just let me put passwords on individual folders or files. It's surprising how such a basic action is hard to find, I've searched high and low.

Anyone else?
Best method is to create an encrypted disk image using disk utility.
QUOTE Thanks
kznefkt

you see, I know of that method aswell, but that's just too much hassle for me. All I want is what I've stated above. BASIC PASSWORD PROTECTION, there must be someone who's knows of something.

where are you mac veteran's at?

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

A brief Google search turned up these options:

PPF

MacLocksmith

Ghost Folder

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
kznefkt

PPF only works with classic, and is very hard to use. Maclock smith I can't seem to download and ghost folder doesn't do what I want either. I found a program called "Cypher" , which locks files but not folders. Lol life is so hard.

Thanks anyway devil boy.

anyone else?
QUOTE Thanks
kznefkt

heres the link

http://www.download.com/Cypher/3000-...ml?tag=lst-0-1
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't copy cd's? | changing the osx interface »