Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Sep 28, 2009
    Posts
    4
    Unhappy Running Tiger/Leopard-only software in Snow Leopard?
    Backstory: I bought a brand-new 13" MacBook Pro a few days ago for school. I also bought a statistics suite for OS X, but didn't read the fine print that it runs only in Tiger and Leopard (I'm new to Macs, figured as long as OS X was up there, I'd be fine). The online store claims absolutely no refunds, so I need to make it work in Snow Leopard ($200 is a lot of money to a student!).

    Problem: Installer won't open. I double click, it pops up for 5 seconds, and closes without any error or notice.

    Options/Solutions:
    - I called Apple, they claim I cannot downgrade a MBP that shipped with Snow Leopard to Leopard. Is this true?
    - I've searched for an Tiger/Leopard emulator that runs in Snow Leopard, all I seem to find is Windows-based OS X emulators. Any suggestions?
    - I've installed Rosetta from the OS X DVD, chosen to run the installer with Rosetta (in the info). No dice.

    Suggestions?

  2. #2

    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,742
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Rosetta is only meant to allow you the ability to run software written for PPC Macs.

    What statistics software package is this?
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Sep 28, 2009
    Posts
    4
    Yeah, I realized that shortly after I posted.

    It's called SPSS, a suite that comes with that and a number of other stats packages.

  4. #4

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    33,303
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerwood View Post
    Backstory: I bought a brand-new 13" MacBook Pro a few days ago for school. I also bought a statistics suite for OS X, but didn't read the fine print that it runs only in Tiger and Leopard (I'm new to Macs, figured as long as OS X was up there, I'd be fine). The online store claims absolutely no refunds, so I need to make it work in Snow Leopard ($200 is a lot of money to a student!).

    Problem: Installer won't open. I double click, it pops up for 5 seconds, and closes without any error or notice.

    Options/Solutions:
    - I called Apple, they claim I cannot downgrade a MBP that shipped with Snow Leopard to Leopard. Is this true?
    - I've searched for an Tiger/Leopard emulator that runs in Snow Leopard, all I seem to find is Windows-based OS X emulators. Any suggestions?
    - I've installed Rosetta from the OS X DVD, chosen to run the installer with Rosetta (in the info). No dice.

    Suggestions?
    First of all...the software you purchased...if it it not compatible with Snow Leopard...then it's not compatible! Trying to launch the installer program in SL won't help.

    As far as your questions:

    - if you have the newest 13" MacBook Pro...it originally shipping with OS 10.5.7...but since you just purchased yours 3 days ago, it probably shipped with 10.6 or 10.6.1. In any case...you should be able to "downgrade" the OS to 10.5.7 or 10.5.8...but of course you will need to purchase a copy of 10.5 Leopard...but that's going to cost $100-$130 bucks!

    - Rosetta is a emulator that allows "non-intel" compatible software to run on an "Intel" Mac. It has nothing to do with the version of the OS needed to run a particular software program.

    The only other solution is to wait for an update for the Statistics software package you purchased...so that it's compatible with Snow Leopard...but that could be a while.

    What software package is it SAS, SPSS, etc.?

    I hope that this helps,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Sep 26, 2009
    Posts
    8
    Well, bummer, Dude!

    That Application suite may not be usable, anyway.

    Definitely post the Application name and all the distributors, after you call for support. ( I suspect it's a discontinued or unsupported application, in which case, your school should step in.) But, posting about bogus applications does work!

    Personally, I'd return the software if they aren't actively supporting it.
    There has to be another option, or you should ask your college to loan you a system where it will work.

  6. #6

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    33,303
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerwood View Post
    Yeah, I realized that shortly after I posted.

    It's called SPSS, a suite that comes with that and a number of other stats packages.
    Yes like you said...SPSS isn't compatible with 10.6.

    Statistics Compatibility

    Maybe you could contact the SPSS folks to see if an update is in the works, and if so how long. Otherwise it would seem a "downgrade" to 10.5 would be the route you need to go if you REALLY need to use this software on your laptop...versus on a professor owned computer (like in one of their labs)...or at a computer lab on campus.

    Good luck,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Sep 28, 2009
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    First of all...the software you purchased...if it it not compatible with Snow Leopard...then it's not compatible! Trying to launch the installer program in SL won't help.

    As far as your questions:

    - if you have the newest 13" MacBook Pro...it originally shipping with OS 10.5.7...but since you just purchased yours 3 days ago, it probably shipped with 10.6 or 10.6.1. In any case...you should be able to "downgrade" the OS to 10.5.7 or 10.5.8...but of course you will need to purchase a copy of 10.5 Leopard...but that's going to cost $100-$130 bucks!

    - Rosetta is a emulator that allows "non-intel" compatible software to run on an "Intel" Mac. It has nothing to do with the version of the OS needed to run a particular software program.

    The only other solution is to wait for an update for the Statistics software package you purchased...so that it's compatible with Snow Leopard...but that could be a while.

    What software package is it SAS, SPSS, etc.?

    I hope that this helps,

    - Nick
    Thanks Nick,

    In response to your post:

    - the new MBP definitely came with SL. I left out a detail that may be important here: This is my wife's computer. I have a late-2008 MBP with the original Leopard install DVD. Is it worth trying to install Leopard on this computer? How does Mac keep track of their software application installs? (will it reject it on this computer because it isn't the same one that came with the DVD?)

    - we pay for a 12-month 'rental' of the software, that begins when we register the install key. So, technically, I can wait it out for a SL update without losing money, but my wife needs it desperately for school (like, needs it working right now).

    - SPSS suite, that includes, among other programs, AMOS.

  8. #8

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    33,303
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerwood View Post
    Thanks Nick,

    In response to your post:

    - the new MBP definitely came with SL. I left out a detail that may be important here: This is my wife's computer. I have a late-2008 MBP with the original Leopard install DVD. Is it worth trying to install Leopard on this computer? How does Mac keep track of their software application installs? (will it reject it on this computer because it isn't the same one that came with the DVD?)

    - we pay for a 12-month 'rental' of the software, that begins when we register the install key. So, technically, I can wait it out for a SL update without losing money, but my wife needs it desperately for school (like, needs it working right now).

    - SPSS suite, that includes, among other programs, AMOS.
    You're welcome!

    The Leopard install DVD that came with your 2008 MBP is it grey/silver colored. If so, these disks are model specific and may not work on your wife's newer 2009 MBP...but the bigger issue would be that you would be violating Apple's EULA (one user license/computer).

    As far as the 12-month rental. Yes I am familiar with this...I used SAS & SPSS in college...and I'm familiar with the "rental" plan. I actually have a really old version of SPSS for the Macintosh before they started charging the "annual fees"...it's probably about 10 years old.

    To be within the Apple EULA (end user license agreement)...you would need to purchase a separate install DVD of Leopard for your wife's computer.

    I hope this helps...probably not the answer you wanted...having to spend more money!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Sep 28, 2009
    Posts
    4
    After doing some more research (from the SPSS help site):

    PASW Statistics 17.0.x (and earlier) will not run at all on Mac OS X 10.6. - Please see Mac OS X v10.6: About incompatible software

    This is due to certain classes in Java moving between Java 1.5 (which is required by versions 17.0 and earlier) and Java SE 6. Because Mac OS X 10.6 only ships with Java SE 6, Statistics 17.0.x (and earlier) will not run on OS X 10.6; it's not a condition that is patchable, and at the present time there are no plans to create a version of 17.0.x that is based on Java SE 6. This may be an issue for customers that have 17.0.x and want to upgrade to Mac OS X 10.6. At this time, a move to Mac OS X 10.6 should coincide with an upgrade to PASW Statistics 18.

  10. #10


    Member Since
    Apr 28, 2010
    Posts
    1
    Enabling Rosetta in Torq 1.5.2
    Hey u guys,

    I read all the possible forums ( well, most of them , I think) regarding the issue with the Snow Leopard + Torq duo. I understand, that u can make it work with rosetta. Now, it might be just my stupidity, but I installed rosetta from the SL disc all right, but when I wanted to tick the "open with rosetta" option on torq clicking on "get info" I couldn't find that box. Clearly, there's no "open with rosetta" option to tick.
    Can anyone suggest something? I have torq 1.5.2 and SL 10.6.3. installed with all the necessary updates.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Upgrading Tiger to (Leopard, Snow Leopard or...HELP!)
    By wilkesep3 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-09-2011, 04:42 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-02-2011, 06:15 PM
  3. Tiger to Leopard or Snow Leopard & Some Q's?
    By BCJennyP in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-14-2010, 03:09 PM
  4. iSkysoft having problems running software with Snow Leopard?
    By goss in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-15-2009, 09:43 PM
  5. tiger vs leopard vs snow leopard - upgrade advice
    By k01f15h in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-20-2009, 07:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •