New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.6 - Blank Mac OS Snow Leopard Default Desktop AFTER LOGIN...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pantera

pantera is on a distinguished road

My Mac is Macbook Pro 15' Leopard upgraded to Snow Leopard last month.

After entering the password to log in, a totally blank Mac OS Snow Leopard default desktop screen appears and nothing happens. It stays like that for nearly 1 hour and then comes the dock and the dock only. And it stays like that for another nearly 1 hour...

I have tried to fix this issue using (i) Safe Mode, and (ii) Disk Utility run from the Snow Leopard Installation Disk.

Can anyone help please? Thanks a lot...
QUOTE Thanks
Zena

Zena is on a distinguished road

Sounds like your boot disk is corrupted and not cleaning-up properly.

I would strongly suggest booting from your Apple disk and doing the Disk Utility repair.

I used Tech Tool, which can be booted from their DVD disk or from a Firewire thumb drive. My system lost some of my Preferences during the upgrade, and later, it hung like yours, on a reboot after an update. It turns out the system did fix itself, but it took an hour (500 GB disk which is only 1/3 full). But, my system is full sized desktop, and has a lot of RAM, so that probably made it repair much faster than yours will.

After you get it fixed, you might want to consider Disk Warrior. it preserves previous file directories (secondary directories), which is worth the small price for extra data protection.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« altering OS 10.4 restart process | error message »