New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook Air - How to uninstall a program properly?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Stuartp77

Stuartp77 is an unknown at this point

I recently bought a Macbook. If a program has no uninstall facility is it OK to drag it to the Trash can? In Windows doing this will leave portions of the program still in the registry and other places, but how does this work for Macs?

Help for this novice Mac user would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stuartp77
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

That will do most of the trick. If you're really picky and want to save a few kilobytes extra, you can search for the name of the app in spotlight followed by .plist and delete the file that comes up. It's simply a preference file. No harm either way.
QUOTE Thanks
viWoody

viWoody is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuartp77 View Post
I recently bought a Macbook. If a program has no uninstall facility is it OK to drag it to the Trash can? In Windows doing this will leave portions of the program still in the registry and other places, but how does this work for Macs?

Help for this novice Mac user would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stuartp77
I tend to be a tad Anal when it comes to uninstalling software, so I've taken to using this free app....
Use it to search for the filename, it will find ALL traces of the App and offers you the choice to delete or destroy selected or all files.
QUOTE Thanks
Stuartp77

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
That will do most of the trick. If you're really picky and want to save a few kilobytes extra, you can search for the name of the app in spotlight followed by .plist and delete the file that comes up. It's simply a preference file. No harm either way.
Hi DarkestRitual,
Thanks for your kind reply - I am grateful for my anything that will increase my knowledge of my Macbook.

May I ask you another question? Simply this: as I bought my computer off Ebay, if I re-install the 2 operating disks that came with the machine, willl that operation delete all files on the computer or leave thm intact as Windows does if you re-install the operating system? It might complicate the system that I used Boot Camp to instal XP on its own partition. So would that section remain intact?

Thanks,

Stuartp77
QUOTE Thanks
Zigdog

Zigdog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD

If you choose to restore from the disks then it shouldn't touch the windows partition, and just wipe the mac side and re-install.
QUOTE Thanks
Stuartp77

Hi Zidog,

Thanks for your reply, I think you answered my query. If you re-install Windows from the OS disc the programs and data you had previously are still there intact. But I think you mean the Mac OS won't do that, it will wipe everything off, is that so?

Thanks

Stuartp77
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

No. It depends on what installation option you choose.

QUOTE Thanks
G-Com

G-Com is on a distinguished road

Download a free utility called AppCleaner.

AppCleaner 1.2.2 software download - Mac OS X - VersionTracker

It'll delete the application, property list files, application support files, etc. in one fell swoop.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Looks like the other folks have this covered, for which I am thankful. I haven't messed too much with partitions, especially since I've never had a taste for windows.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook keeps freezing and makes a skipping audio sound | Froze on Startup...Forced Shutdown & Lost Everything »