New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Corrupt file

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

I have a corrupt file in my Trash Bin. It's name is unreadable and I cannot empty it from the Bin. When I try to empty the bin, the folder closes, but the file has not gone. If I try to Get Info, the file disappears from the Bin - but when I open the Bin again, it is back.

I have verified the disk and permissions, both successfully. This has not made any difference.

How can I get rid of this file please?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Take a look here.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Take a look here.
Try the second technique first. It's the simplest.
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

I tried those without success.

I will try a repair and see if that fixes it, although a verify found no errors.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Can you take a screenshot of the trash? Also, is this on an external drive, that is also used by windows? If not, do you use bootcamp?

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
Can you take a screenshot of the trash? Also, is this on an external drive, that is also used by windows? If not, do you use bootcamp?
This is on the main internal drive of the iMac. I do use Bootcamp, but this is not on the Windows partition. It applies to the main (and only) user ID on the system, so it is also of course an Admin user.

I'll see what I can do about a screenshot, once I can remember how to do a screenshot.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

cmd-shift-4 will let you select, if you hit space it will allow you to simply click on a window

mike
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Here is the screenshot of the Trash folder:

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

oooooo

Ok, how comfortable are you with Terminal?

edit: Ya know what.. BEFORE we go there.. boot to windows and empty your recycling bin. Then check again

mike
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

I tried rebooting into Windows and emptying the Recycle Bin.

Back into Mac OS and the file (or folder) is still there.

I don't know if this helps, but I have an eBook reader. I connected this to my laptop at work, which has its own disk encrypted with a MacAfee encryption system. Somehow this resulted in a folder being created on the eBook reader which was not readable. I could not delete it from the reader successfully.

When I brought the reader home and attached it to the iMac, I was able to delete the folder from the reader. I suspect this is the folder now in my Trash folder. Does this help explain how to get rid of the folder?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

could be, was this file deleted while you were booted to windows by chance?

I ask simply because that's pretty much the signature of files named like that I've seen in the past.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

No, the file was deleted when in Mac OS, viewing the reader disk as an external USB disk. If it helps, the reader is the Elonex.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Ok, go into terminal and cd to .Trash, then do an ls -ai

paste the output.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
When I brought the reader home and attached it to the iMac, I was able to delete the folder from the reader. I suspect this is the folder now in my Trash folder. Does this help explain how to get rid of the folder?
Attach the reader once more to your iMac. With the reader attached, empty the Trash. I've had the very same thing happen when attaching devices like a camera or mP3 player and then deleting something. Forgetting to empty the Trash while the device was still attached creates the same problem you're running into. Re-attaching (mounting) the device once more and emptying the Trash usually resolves it.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Attach the reader once more to your iMac. With the reader attached, empty the Trash. I've had the very same thing happen when attaching devices like a camera or mP3 player and then deleting something. Forgetting to empty the Trash while the device was still attached creates the same problem you're running into. Re-attaching (mounting) the device once more and emptying the Trash usually resolves it.

Regards.
Oh yea, thanks. Great call Forgot about that. I really need more sleep.

mike
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Clean Install and Speed | How to change permissions for all files? »