New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.1 - Who really knows their stuff? Messed up imac question.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

luvmymac

luvmymac is on a distinguished road

If anyone can answer this complicated question, you will officially be the lord of all things mac in my eyes!

This is a long question, hang in there with me.

I have a imac g3 that was running os 10.3.2. It did not have a classic folder, so I attempted to reinstall the folder from one of my os9 disks, but it resulted in a mess. It brought the os back to 9.1 and I had to reinstall 10.1. Now, when I go to my start up disk it shows the 10.1, two 9's (still can't do classic though, I don't care about that anymore) and the 10.3.2 originally on it. There is also the "original files" file in the hd with that I believe is the 10.3.2 os.

I tried to restart the computer from 10.3.2 within the startup disk, and it still starts up in 10.1.

So, how do I get my 10.3.2 back? If it's still there, I should be able to tap back into it, correct? It would be great if I could somehow get classic working too, but at this point, I'm willing to disregard that in order to get the 10.3.2 back.

If you can answer this, I will personally crown you the mac king/queen of the year!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Sounds like a confused mess with remnants of several operating systems. You really need to start over by booting with your 10.3.2 disk, wipe the drive with Disk Utility and then install 10.3.2. Afterward, you can install the classic folder. Of course before wiping the drive, back up whatever you can't afford to lose.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
G-Com

G-Com is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmymac View Post
If anyone can answer this complicated question, you will officially be the lord of all things mac in my eyes!

This is a long question, hang in there with me.

I have a imac g3 that was running os 10.3.2. It did not have a classic folder, so I attempted to reinstall the folder from one of my os9 disks, but it resulted in a mess. It brought the os back to 9.1 and I had to reinstall 10.1. Now, when I go to my start up disk it shows the 10.1, two 9's (still can't do classic though, I don't care about that anymore) and the 10.3.2 originally on it. There is also the "original files" file in the hd with that I believe is the 10.3.2 os.

I tried to restart the computer from 10.3.2 within the startup disk, and it still starts up in 10.1.

So, how do I get my 10.3.2 back? If it's still there, I should be able to tap back into it, correct? It would be great if I could somehow get classic working too, but at this point, I'm willing to disregard that in order to get the 10.3.2 back.

If you can answer this, I will personally crown you the mac king/queen of the year!
Edit: I agree with chscag. You've got a mess.

Did you try selecting 10.3.1 as your startup volume and then running the software update?
QUOTE Thanks
luvmymac

Opps, should have mentioned, I do not have the 10.3.2 disks, the computer came with that on it. I have os 9 disk and the os 10.1 disks. I also have 10.2 but those are only resore disks that came with computers (I think). And I have 10.4 but it kernel panic'ed when I tried to install that.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

What type of Tiger disc do you have? By the sound of it a silver grey system restore disc which is very much model specific and which will boot only with the model it came with. Without Panther OS X.3 discs you will not be able to install that after formatting the drive.

Your OS 9 problems sound like the option to install OS 9 drivers was not selected at the time of formatting when OS X.1 was originally installed. If you only wish to use what you have, and not purchase a full retail install DVD for Tiger, boot from the OS X.1 disc by holding down 'C" after the chime, go to Utilities > DIsk utility > Erase and wipe the drive. Then format Mac OS Extended (Journalled) making sure you select the option to install OS 9 drivers.

Proceed with OS X.1 install, and then install Classic OS 9.1 and update as far as possible.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmymac View Post
Opps, should have mentioned, I do not have the 10.3.2 disks, the computer came with that on it. I have os 9 disk and the os 10.1 disks. I also have 10.2 but those are only resore disks that came with computers (I think). And I have 10.4 but it kernel panic'ed when I tried to install that.
I hope the computer was free. I'd never buy one without the OS discs for it. And that brings up a question. Is your 10.4 disc the retail edition, or is it a grey disc? If the latter, it probably is not for that model. I'm told you can get 10.5 for $16 from 1-800-myapple. I haven't called yet...
QUOTE Thanks
luvmymac

Yes, the 10.4 disks are model specific then, they are only the two grey/silver disks. So those are out. I'm just kicking myself for screwing up this machine! I'll have to purchase an updated os, which is a complete pain since it will be more expensive than the computer was itself. Urgh!
QUOTE Thanks
luvmymac

P.S. I would need to purchase a Full Install Retail version of a newer os, correct? NOT an update, correct?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all

Correct. You don't purchase updates. They're free. You pay when you upgrade, or in cases like yours. So, you got the computer for less than $16?!!
QUOTE Thanks
luvmymac

No, got it for $36, but the disks on ebay are much more than that. I'm leary of the $16 price, doesn't seem legit based on what I'm seeing online. Plus being that you have to call too. Anyone have experience with that, or know of other places that may have os disks for "cheap"?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

If it looks too good to be true, as the old adage says, it IS!

Tiger full retail install discs will run you from about $80-$100 on eBay but make sure you purchase the black discs. There are so many shonky sellers about.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
If it looks too good to be true, as the old adage says, it IS!
Sigh! The first mention of that deal I ran across here seemed to be saying the Poster paid $16 and got the retail disc. I wrote down the number, but didn't call. Now, why bother? Another post indicates the price is only for replacements for your model's discs. I assume some proof of ownership is then required.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« my macbook freezes all the time | snow leopard mid-installation freeze »