Post Terminal vs. Applescript
    I run the following script successfully in terminal in order to split an mp3 file into 3 smaller mp3 files...

split -b 8667k -a1 Monday.mp3 Levin-Hour_; ls Lev* | sed "s/.*/mv '&' '&.mp3'/g" | zsh

However, when I run a similar script within Applescript using the 'do shell script' command, the files split yet none of the 3 newly created files include the 'mp3' extension (they are in mp3 format however). Although I realize that I can simply rename the files within Applescript, the purist in me wants to know how to fix this. Here's what my Applescript command looks like...

do shell script "split -b 8667k -a1 Monday.mp3 Levin-Hour_; ls Lev* | sed " & "s/.*/mv '&' '&.mp3'/g" & "| zsh"

By the way, I know that I can easily split the file via a GUI editor. However, I am trying to run an automated script that downloads several files in a scheduled fashion. Therefore, I want to correct this via scripting if at all possible.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:
    Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ
    Someone will come along who will actually know this, but it's way out of my league.

Good luck

It's amazing how a good night's sleep can help one solve a problem. For those who ever want to do something similar using Applescript, I got it to work with these two lines...

set TheScript to "s/.*/mv '&' '&.mp3'/g"

do shell script "split -b 8667k -a1 Monday.mp3 Levin-Hour_; ls Lev* | sed " & quoted form of TheScript & "| zsh"

Bottom line - since the actual shell command included a statement with double quotes, I had to use Apple's quoted form statement to insure that the compiler read the double quotes as part of the script instead of just normal double quotes that would surround a string.

Thread Information