New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

OS 10.6 - Snow Leopard Verdict

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

knightjp

knightjp is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo w/ 4GB ram running OS X Lion

I always make it a point not to upgrade to a new OS until a year or so has passed after its release. This helps me avoid the pains and the bugs that come with a new OS.
Not to say that snow Leopard is full of bugs, but every new OS has issues the first few months of release.

Now my big question before I upgrade is, does Mac OS 10.6 support Xcode, applescript and Odjective-C 2.0?
Or will the developer support be added on later updates?

Once You've had Mac, you can't go back.... So very true.
If necessity is the mother of invention, she obviously never met Steve Jobs..
Julz - The Panther
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I haven't had any problems. You'll need the latest version of xcode, but other than that....

upgrade whenever. It's not a deal-breaker either way right now..

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Simple rule of thumb for me: make a really good backup first and ensure that if you have any applications that absolutely have to work that they do.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

Make at least two backups:
Uninstall all Safari add ons, Third party services, 32bit screen savers, Hacks, .dfonts and anything on the incompatible list..
Snow Leopard Compatibility: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Compatibility List

Spring clean Leopard. Then install SnowKitty and enjoy the wait for the updates

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
Zigdog

Zigdog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD

i pretty much just dive into things and then scream when they all go **** up!!!
QUOTE Thanks
knightjp

I've seen soem videos on youtube that highlight some features and its pretty neat. But those features cater mostly to ease of use and while they're great and they work so well, they're not the reasons I'd use to upgrade.

The one major thing I like is the footprint. The fact that they managed to cram so much more into an OS that takes 7GBs less than the previous version, really makes me want to switch.

However, I'm gonna stick with Leopard for now. At least for 6 months or so.

Julz - The Panther
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Some minor issues here. I still think Apple needs to shake some bugs loose before I'd recommend it to someone who needs a rock solid system.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
knightjp

Every new OS has bugs. Its sure to happen. Whether those are major or minor issues, that depends on the problems.
AFAIK Apple goes through great lengths to make sure that the OS is ready from day 1. But it cannot be said that no one will have issues.

Julz - The Panther
QUOTE Thanks
Leukeh

Leukeh is a jewel in the roughLeukeh is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM

Wait a bit I say - it is a little buggy and there's not a huge difference in the OS anyway. Causing me a bit of frustration at the moment, so I'm glad I only paid $14.95 for it.

Behance Design/Photography Porfolio
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigdog View Post

I'm with you. I just don't scream when things go awry. I find ways around them or simply learn to adjust and embrace the new experience.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigdog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
I'm with you. I just don't scream when things go awry. I find ways around them or simply learn to adjust and embrace the new experience.
Typically what I do also. For years I've been use to upgrading my OS, apps and drivers as soon as the new one comes out. so I always expect something to go wrong and am delightfully surprised when it doesn't.

When it does, time to see if I can fix it or come up with a work around. Don't believe I've ever gone back to a previous version or downgraded my personal machine. I will hold off on recommendation for others though.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
ErikJenkins1187

ErikJenkins1187 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac

I for one am steering clear until Line 6 gets off their lazy rear ends and gets a kext for the KB37 that doesn't crash Snow Leopard. Until then, I will stick with ole reliable! I did get to play with a 15" Unibody MBP with Snow Leopard, all the new subtle changes are great, and Safari runs very well in 64-bit, but I didn't see anything immediately pressing that gave me that "MUST HAVE" feeling. 10.6.4 will probably be a good time for me to take the plunge. If you are a working audio professional or a hobbist that can't stand downtime, don't do it, most audio companies are scrambling to get caught up (as if there wasn't a full year to get beta versions, sigh)
QUOTE Thanks
sputacus

sputacus is on a distinguished road

I always make a clone of my system before I do any major update or upgrade - then I can easily restore my machine to its previous state if something about the upgrade didn't work. This practice has served me well with the Snow Leopard upgrade, as I had to do it twice on my machine.

The first SL upgrade went without a problem - the improved results were as advertised. A few hours later, I updated an application and found that it didn't work in SL. I learned from an user's message board that updated application does work in SL, AS LONG AS it is updated in Leopard. In other words, the installer did not work properly in SL.

So I erased my SL installation and recloned my system with my last 10.5.8 install. Then I updated the problem application - it worked fine in 10.5.8. Then I did a second upgrade to SL. Again, SL continues to perform as advertised and my application is now fully operational in SL.

Conclusion - I'm not afraid to upgrade when a new OSX version is released. If it works - GREAT. If it doesn't, I can easily (within 90 minutes) restore my previous install.
QUOTE Thanks
knightjp

When you purchase Snow Leopard, can you install it on an Intel mac with a brand new HDD?
Or do I first have to install Leopard and then install Snow Leopard??

The reason I ask is because I've only seen people mention about upgrading existing installations.

Julz - The Panther
QUOTE Thanks
G-Com

G-Com is on a distinguished road

It's not perfect, but the first update fixed a lot of bugs. And things are in new places. Why Apple does this is beyond me, but they do.

I freaked out when I installed it for the first time because I couldn't see my internal hard drive (which has three partitions.)

By default the show hard drives on desktop option is unchecked. You can't imagine my relief.

I think someone at Apple was being a weisenheimer.

Edit: My biggest gripe is that the pause/play button on the remote STILL launches iTunes. It's a pain when watching a movie in VLC.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dead Harddrive, can't reinstall | Where did my iCal go? »