New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook Pro - Running 3 programs and almost no RAM left?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

w.markegard

w.markegard is an unknown at this point

I'm running Safari, Word, and Activity Monitor right now, and I have 115MB free.......... Is that normal?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Take a screenshot of the Activity Monitor and post it here to this same thread so we can see what's going on with your memory. We'll also need to know how much memory you have installed and what year model MBP machine you have.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

how much inactive RAM do you have? How long has your machine been turned on? OS X keeps things stored in RAM so it can run apps you have been using commonly/most often more quickly. It will rewrite things to RAM as needed.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

DarkestRitual is on the right path with this one. OS X allocates and uses memory in a different way than you may be used too. Please do as chscag has asked and post back a picture of Activity Monitor when you experience this deficiency of RAM.

To make the screenshot easier, simply push Shift-Command-4 and when you see the cursor become a crosshair, simply push the spacebar. Now, hover over AM and click. Picture will be on your desktop. (This was in case you were unfamiliar with this method).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
w.markegard

Here's what Activity Monitor looks like right now.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 3.png (231.2 KB, 24 views)
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

First off, this article would be a good read. This is a good one too. I hope those make your understanding of memory management in OS X a little more clear.

In that picture, you have ~30MB free, ~200MB wired (being used by OS X), ~1GB active (in use by applications) and ~530MB inactive (not really in use but will be used if a previously open application wants it's memory back). If you run out of free memory, memory from the inactive figure will be used.

Inactive memory, while looking like it consumes more memory is quite helpful. For instance, let's do an experiment. Open an application that you haven't opened since you last boot. Make a mental note of how quickly it opens. Now, quit it completely and re-open it. Notice how much faster it opens? To quote the second article in its discussion about inactive memory: "...the idea being that if you opened an application you are somewhat likely to do so again and if the memory is still labeled, the application can start very quickly".

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
w.markegard

Thanks for the replies. I never new about the inactive memory. I'm good now.
QUOTE Thanks
macandnorm

macandnorm is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid-2009 Unibody 13" MBP 2.23ghz 4gb Crucial 500gb 7200rpm Seagate / 32 2nd Gen Itouch

Can someone who knows about normal ram usage look at my activity monitor screen shot and tell me if it looks normal.
I am about to upgrade to 4gb next week as I use iMovie quite a bit and it is extremely sluggish, even with everything closed.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2009-10-12 at 1.02.46 AM.png (316.4 KB, 7 views)
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandnorm View Post
Can someone who knows about normal ram usage look at my activity monitor screen shot and tell me if it looks normal.
I am about to upgrade to 4gb next week as I use iMovie quite a bit and it is extremely sluggish, even with everything closed.
Looks normal to me.

It also looks like a 4 GB upgrade would be overkill for you, since you aren't using all of what you have now.
Combining your Inactive and Free, you have 25% of you total RAM available for use.
Adding more won't make any significant improvement if you still have 25% available of what you have now.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
macandnorm

macandnorm is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid-2009 Unibody 13" MBP 2.23ghz 4gb Crucial 500gb 7200rpm Seagate / 32 2nd Gen Itouch

hmm, thanks d3v1l80y.

then i wonder why it takes imovie so long to do things. i do have a lot of movies on there but that shouldn't matter once they're loaded right? i mean, i get the rainbow circle whenever i do just about anything and if it's not the circle it at least just waits almost five seconds after a command to do anything. i know i don't have a mac pro but i thought apple would at least make software that works with even some of the lower end hardware...
should i reinstall ilife? have any of you heard of imovie being extremely slow and sluggish. imovie has even crashed on me about 5 times in the two weeks i've owned this mac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« what is this weird vertical bar on my dock? | Why does my computer download something called "Desktop"? »