New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Power Mac - "Missing" Hard Drive Space

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

howie43

howie43 is on a distinguished road

I'm running a Power PC G4 with Tiger 10.4.11. I recently had the old 40GB hard drive replaced with a 150 GB drive and copied all the contents of the old drive onto the new one. Now, whereas Disk Utility shows that I have a total capacity of 149.1 GB and on highlighting HD it shows a capacity of 148.9 GB under available it shows only 16.4 GB and under used only 23.4 GB. If I look under partition it again shows 148.9 GB as available. The drive has not been partitioned - there is just one grey panel showing. It is as if my original total of 40GB has not increased at all, although the additional capacity is being recognised to some extent. I would be more than grateful if somebody could tell me how I can get access to the extra space - thanks in advance and even more thanks to come when I succeed.
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

How did the drive get "copied" - by Carbon Copy Cloner or Superduper?

Can you give us a screen capture of the partition window from Disk Utility please.
QUOTE Thanks
howie43

Hi Chilbear,

Thank you for your interest and quick response. I'm trying to get the info. about how the clone was done, but it will probably be tomorrow before that happens. I will also have learned by then, with luck, how to send a screenshot.

Regards,

Howard.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Then there is this i found from a google - First, as people have pointed out, harddrive manufacturers count GB, in decimal mode, as 1,000,000,000 bytes, while Windows counts a GB, in binary mode, as 1,073,741,824 bytes.
Due to this difference in labeling a 160GB drive is actually 149 GiB.

No reason why you shouldn't blame M$ for the difference ;-)
QUOTE Thanks
howie43

Hi again Chilbear, I have tried without success every which way to paste a screenshot onto here. I can get the file to appear in any format whether png or jpg or whatever on the desktop but I just can't paste it. Anyway, I find that a clone wasn't done - only a clean install from the official Tiger CD. I later copied documents by firewire with a powered adaptor from the old disk but the problem of the missing GB was from the moment the Tiger OS was installed. I don't know whether this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

better still, go to terminal

type

df -h

then type

df -H

copy and paste the text output here

expect something like this:
Code:
mikeMbp:~ mike$ df -h
Filesystem      Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/disk0s2   233Gi  128Gi  104Gi    56%    /
devfs          110Ki  110Ki    0Bi   100%    /dev
map -hosts       0Bi    0Bi    0Bi   100%    /net
map auto_home    0Bi    0Bi    0Bi   100%    /home
mikeMbp:~ mike$

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
howie43

A bit beyond me - but, is this what you mean ?

Last login: Fri Sep 25 09:34:29 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
howard-carrs-imac:~ Howard$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/disk0s3 40G 23G 17G 57% /
devfs 98K 98K 0B 100% /dev
fdesc 1.0K 1.0K 0B 100% /dev
<volfs> 512K 512K 0B 100% /.vol
automount -nsl [177] 0B 0B 0B 100% /Network
automount -fstab [185] 0B 0B 0B 100% /automount/Servers
automount -static [185] 0B 0B 0B 100% /automount/static
howard-carrs-imac:~ Howard$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/disk0s3 40G 23G 17G 57% /
devfs 98K 98K 0B 100% /dev
fdesc 1.0K 1.0K 0B 100% /dev
<volfs> 512K 512K 0B 100% /.vol
automount -nsl [177] 0B 0B 0B 100% /Network
automount -fstab [185] 0B 0B 0B 100% /automount/Servers
automount -static [185] 0B 0B 0B 100% /automount/static
howard-carrs-imac:~ Howard$
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Looks to me like the clone was done with some app like Paragon's Snapshot which makes a block for block copy including free space.

I'd put the old drive back in, wipe the new one and start over using CCC or SuperDuper! to clone your drive.

(Is the old drive still in the Power Mac? While DU would show both drives in the machine, you could also still be booting to the old drive.)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
howie43

Thanks for trying to help bobtomay but as you will see in one of my later replies above I found out on checking that a clone was never done. A clean install was done from the Tiger CD on a completely new drive. The old drive had been removed from the machine. All that was installed was the fresh OS and still the Mac seemed to think the old 40 GB drive was still there even though the brand new drive was 150 GB.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

This is what I would do on my own machine - just throwing out ideas and this is the best one I've got. FYI, while I've been playing with hardware for a lot of years, my only experience with Macs are with Intel machines.

Since you still have your old drive as backup, and someone else did this for you, I'd start over again.

Boot up with the Tiger disc, go into the menu and open Disk Utility from there, erase the drive, repartition as a single volume, format, and install again.

Then check out the drive before you import anything back over to it.

(We've got some long time Mac users here, if they have better idea, they'll come along.)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

I have to agree with Bob. A clone is the only reason that the system thinks you have the 40 GB in space available. Back up and start the format all over again and your life will be much simpler for a long time when starting from a fresh drive and a fresh install.
QUOTE Thanks
howie43

Thanks both, I'll try that over the weekend. Have a good one.
QUOTE Thanks
howie43

Thanks a million to you both, bob and chil, I did just as you said and it worked a treat. For some reason SD refused so I tried CCC and it worked. I'm over the moon!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« problem restoring mac os x | help with installing mac x »