New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.6 - no sound from headphones

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

FlyingSupe

FlyingSupe is on a distinguished road

I seem to have changed one of my settings but i cannot find out how to change it back. I usually use my headphones whenever there is sound, and they were working just fine. Until they randomly weren't working, the headphones were in nice and secure but the sound still comes out of the computer itself. I have gone to system preferences and changed everything in sound that i could but nothing works. How do i get the sound to start coming through the headphones again?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Try another set of headphones. If they work, the other ones are probably no good. Hope they aren't new. Unless... maybe you could take/send them back.
QUOTE Thanks
FlyingSupe

I have actually tried three sets of headphones already, they all don't work the same way
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all

Then perhaps you have a hardware issue. It was working, then all of a sudden, no sound. That's a common mode of failure. Maybe something is no longer connecting on the inside.
QUOTE Thanks
FlyingSupe

well it didn't stop mid sound, just one day it worked and the next it didn't. I have the mac book pro so it is pretty new
QUOTE Thanks
Kevin6432

Kevin6432 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2 2GB

If you look down the headphone jack, do you see a red light coming out of it?

15 inch MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo w/ 3GB ram and 160GB 7200 RPM HDD.
Apple OS-X Snow Leopard / Boot Camp - Windows XP
QUOTE Thanks
FlyingSupe

no, it is dark.
QUOTE Thanks
toutratus

toutratus is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem... it worked perfectly and suddenly, it didn't... I used to hear some noise in the headphones when connecting them and now I don't hear it anymore... the mac book pro is 1 month old... did you find a solution?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Then perhaps you have a hardware issue. It was working, then all of a sudden, no sound. That's a common mode of failure. Maybe something is no longer connecting on the inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin6432 View Post
If you look down the headphone jack, do you see a red light coming out of it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSupe View Post
no, it is dark.
It's looking like my previous diagnosis is correct. No light, no connection. Something inside the Mac is broken. You might want to try taking it to an Apple Store to have them confirm that, then fix it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Regressing from 10.6 Snow Leopard | Can't Locate Files To Delete »