New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - 'FINDER.DAT' and 'RESOURCE.FRK'.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ian_g

ian_g is on a distinguished road

For the short space of time that I worked with both my old iMac G3 and PC, I used the PC more, not because I preferred it, I was using some software that had been specifically developed so that I could keep the company I was working for informed of work progress. Since I was using the PC more, many of the images I had taken were saved and stored on there, although I wasn't able to back up because I didn't have an external hard drive at the time, nor did the PC have a CD/DVD writer.

Eventually, once I'd bought my new Mac, I transferred all the files I needed, checking that they all copied fine. Since then, I gave my parents the PC once my partner reformatted the whole drive. Anyway, I've just come to sort through some images and there's one particular gallery that has saved all the smaller jpgs in it, but the folder with the larger images has been split into two folders, one named 'FINDER.DAT', the other 'RESOURCE.FRK'.

The 'FINDER.DAT' folder is a Mac Wavelets WBIN document and does absolutely nothing when you try and open it, regardless of what program I try.
The 'RESOURCE.FRK' folder, on the other hand, opens up and contains what can only be described as 'abbreviated' file names... for instance, the file called 'papercut.jpg' is now 'PAPERC~1.JPG'.

How on Earth can I retrieve these files, bearing in mind that this is the only thing remaining? Obviously I require the original JPGs.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Read through the following thread: Link Hopefully, that will answer some of your questions.

BTW, use Google search for more info regarding those two files.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

What was the OS on the G3 - Finder.DAT makes me think it was Classic 9.1 or 9.2 or earlier?
QUOTE Thanks
ian_g

ian_g is on a distinguished road

Thanks chscag... I'll take a look (haven't as yet), although I may well have exhausted every possible link to do with this now! I've been hunting around since Friday night and the whole matter has been keeping me awake since then.

Collin, somehow, I may have transferred the files from the PC to the G3. It was 9.2 on there. I still have the old G3 (begrudge throwing it!) and tried to rectify the problem on there, to no avail.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Snow Leopard Question | upgrading to 10.4 os »