New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.6 - Flash issue fault of Snow Leopard?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AmbientEternity

AmbientEternity is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ipod classic, Aluminum MacBook.

I just upgraded to snow leopard about a week ago. Today I decided to make a new ringtone on the phonezoo website, but I seem to be having issues with the flash interface that I never had before upgrading.

For those of you not familiar with phonezoo, you upload a song, and it brings you to a page like the one in the picture below. you can then drag the orange marker to shadow an area of the song you want to cut/edit, etc. you can drag the marker to ma it shadow an area up to 30 seconds in length. When you're done, you just save it to your phone zoo account and can either download the file to your computer, or send it to your phone.

The issue that I am having is that when i click on the marker to make it longer or try and drag it to another part of the song, it grabs it for about a second or less and then lets go, even though I haven't released the trackpad.

needless to say, it's making it too difficult to create ringtones.

Does anyone think this has to do with my upgrade to snow leopard?

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbientEternity View Post
I just upgraded to snow leopard about a week ago. Today I decided to make a new ringtone on the phonezoo website, but I seem to be having issues with the flash interface that I never had before upgrading.

<snip>

The issue that I am having is that when i click on the marker to make it longer or try and drag it to another part of the song, it grabs it for about a second or less and then lets go, even though I haven't released the trackpad.

needless to say, it's making it too difficult to create ringtones.

Does anyone think this has to do with my upgrade to snow leopard?
There's always that offchance. There's a couple things to try checking out. First, be sure you have the latest update to Flash. There has been an update since Snow Leopard was released. Or more accurately... Snow Leopard shipped with an older version of Flash and may have downgraded you.

If you are using a custom mouse manager like USB Overdrive or Steermouse, make sure you have the latest updates.

You can also try running Safari in 32-bit mode. To do so, right-click on the Safari app, select Get Info, and check the option to run in 32-bit mode. If this doesn't work, try Firefox.

Failing all that, try creating a new user account on your Mac, log into that, and try using that website and see if you are more successful.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If you've updated to 10.6.1, Flash has been updated for you so you can rule out the problem being linked to an older Flash plugin if you've updated.

What browser are you using?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I think your issue is with the trackpad and 10.6 and not flash. I just signed up there and tried it in 10.6.1 Snow Leopard on my Intel Mac Mini using a Mouse. It worked faultlessly. I could click and move it anywhere in the track I wanted as well as drag the ends where I wanted. It stayed selected and moving as long as I held down the left button.

There was a thread here about the Trackpad letting go after a second while doing something since 10.6. I will try and find that and post a URL. Do you have an external Mouse you could plug in and try it?
QUOTE Thanks
AmbientEternity

AmbientEternity is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ipod classic, Aluminum MacBook.

Thanks for the info guys!

I updated my OS to 10.6.1, and my flash player separately.

It works fine in safari running 32 bit mode, but my firefox is still having an issue. I tried the external mouse to no avail. Is there a way to run firefox in 32 bit mode as well?

I'm happy I can use it in safari now, but it'd be nice if it could work in firefox too

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

That is a strange issue for sure!

Firefox at this point is a 32Bit Application under OSX so that will not work with it since it's already running that way.

When I did the test on 10.6.1 and my Intel Mini I used Safari in 64-Bit mode.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If it runs in both 32-bit and 64-bit Safari, it's got to do with the browser if it continues not to work in Firefox. Have you tried any other browsers such as Opera or one of the Chromium nightlies (simply for testing purposes)? If it works with those browsers (or at least one of them), I think we can narrow it down to something that is wrong with Firefox.

dtravis7 is correct about Firefox and 32-bit execution. I can't find the thread right now but Mozilla has a thread in their bug tracker about the progress made towards building a 64-bit build of Firefox for OS X.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« spotlight not working | MAC future question. »