Spinning wheel of death on G4

Hello

I got a 1.5Ghz G4 with 100g hard drive and 768 RAM. I recently nearly filled the hard drive so took some stuff off and its now at about 93g. But nearly everything I try and do gives me the spinning wheel of death. I've checked the activity monitor and everything looks fine - I got about 450m memory in use and 4g virtual memory.

Any clues? Thought maybe I need to clear some more stuff off or buy more RAM but doesnt seem to make sense from what activity monitor is telling me.

Thanks
    K

Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    Run a hardware test to check the ram, and run disk utility from the install disc to verify permissions and the HD.
    Often moving stuff can mess with permissions etc.
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

Specs:
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.5
    The drive is much too full. A drive requires some 15% free space in order to work anywhere near efficiently. Do as Kevriano suggests first up and then download a little utility called AppTrap version 1.1.3 for Leopard, 1.0.5 for Tiger as you do not say what OS you are using.

When you drag excess files to the trash, AppTRrap will also remove associated preferences etc. cleaning up some free space. You really do need a much larger HDD. Say 250GB and then pop the current drive into an external case for backups.

AppTrap

Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    The drive is much too full. A drive requires some 15% free space in order to work anywhere near efficiently. Do as Kevriano suggests first up and then download a little utility called AppTrap version 1.1.3 for Leopard, 1.0.5 for Tiger as you do not say what OS you are using.

When you drag excess files to the trash, AppTRrap will also remove associated preferences etc. cleaning up some free space. You really do need a much larger HDD. Say 250GB and then pop the current drive into an external case for backups.

AppTrap
    That's useful, I didn't know about that. Cheers Harry.
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

Thanks guys! Hardware test showed everything fine and repaired a couple of permissions in disk utility. And thats really helped. AppTrap I guess is just for future deletings but I have it now.

Am too broke for an external hard drive so I'm gonna start shifting those movies to CD. Backups.. hmm.

Anyway the main thing is space is the issue not memory. Have fallen back in love with my Mac. I hated swearing at it.

Specs:
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.5
    Swearing at your Mac you naughty boy/girl! Get you disbarred from the Mac lovers association pronto!

Thread Information