New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Imac appearing as two computers in finder

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

$1()()0N$

$1()()0N$ is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4ghz 24" Imac

Hi all,

Something that has been bugging me for quite a while...my imac shows up as imac and imac-1 in the finder of other macs. Im really confused as to why its doing so.

I initially thought that it could be because it was connected to the network via airport and ethernet, but turned airport off and still appearing as two. Its not a real problem but is quite irritating as makes it unclear which one represents what part of the mac.

If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated.

Regards

Joe

24" 2.4GHz IMAC 30GB Ipod Video Iphone 3G
Mac Lover Forever!!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

You're not alone... my fiancee's emac is in there twice also. Actually... as I went to wake her computer up so I could take a screen shot... now she's only on there once. Usually it's the same computer name with a slightly different icon.

Anyway, I don't know what I did. The only thing I can think of is I saved her log in in my keychain, so maybe that resolved whatever was going on? I have no idea... I'm curious. Help us figure it out, dudes.
QUOTE Thanks
wmprice1240

wmprice1240 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB

Interesting.

There is a thread here:

Apple - Support - Discussions - MacBook Pro shows up twice under Shared ...

which is somewhat similar but not exactly the same. What are the sharing preferences on your computers in terms of 'File Sharing'?
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Got it!

Yea, it's definitely got something to do with printer sharing... the eMac is sharing its printer with this computer, and shows up twice.
QUOTE Thanks
Tex-Twil

Tex-Twil has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
Got it!

Yea, it's definitely got something to do with printer sharing... the eMac is sharing its printer with this computer, and shows up twice.
I think it is because you have both "AFP" and "Samba" protocols enabled in the sharing preferences hence the mac is shown twice. Note the icon of the mac shared via "Samba" is a PC with a blue screen of death It's because samba is used mostly on windows.

If you want to share with only macs, you can use just AFP otherwise you also need "Samba" since windows doesn't know the AFP protocol.

Or .. you can use just samba.

tex
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« itunes wouldnt open | Screen and Disk Sharing 10.4.11-10.5.8? »