Migration Assistant incomplete transfer with Snow Leopard
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro 15" (early 2008, pre-unibody), 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.
    I installed Snow Leopard onto my new 500 GB drive today, and then used migration assistant to move all my files, apps, and settings from the old 200 GB drive to the new one. Everything looks as it if went smoothly. Two and a half hours later, it was finished and I installed the new drive in my macbook pro. When I booted from drive, I found the strangest thing. Everything looked just fine at first, but then I started noticing files, emails, and settings that were missing. After some searching, I found that basically everything from the last 7 days is missing!

Luckily I haven't yet erased the old drive (last time machine backup was about a week ago too unfortunately).

Here's my question: if I redo the migration assistant, what are the chances the same thing will happen? Whould it be better to do it manually (although this could get complicated with settings and mailboxes and such)?

Has anyone else has a similar problem? I've seen problems with migration assistant here, but not like mine.
    "The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past." -William Faulkner

Specs:
    iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
    If your last good Time Machine backup was from a week ago, that would be why you're missing the last 7 days. The data simply wasn't backed up for the last week.

It sounds like the restore went as it should unless I misunderstood your post.

Specs:
    Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
    Quote Originally Posted by IanCT View Post
    If your last good Time Machine backup was from a week ago, that would be why you're missing the last 7 days. The data simply wasn't backed up for the last week.

It sounds like the restore went as it should unless I misunderstood your post.
    I think he's trying to use migration assistant rather then restore from time machine, but you are right, it does sound like he restored from time machine instead (since migration assistant appears to require a second mac to communicate with rather then just a drive connected to the new system ( Mac OS X 10.5: Using Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac ) but I've never done it before so I can't really comment on it intelligently)

Since you have the old drive, I guess it would be possible to install the old drive, do a time machine backup to get it up to date then restore data / apps from the time machine...
    My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)

Specs:
    Macbook Pro 15" (early 2008, pre-unibody), 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post
    Since you have the old drive, I guess it would be possible to install the old drive, do a time machine backup to get it up to date then restore data / apps from the time machine...
    Now I see why this was probably the issue, and your solution would be the easiest. But I decided last night to try instead connecting the old drive through a firewire connection (in an external hd case), and the migration assistance was able to see it as another mac. So the assistant seems to have done things correctly this time.
    "The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past." -William Faulkner

Thread Information