New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Searching in finder

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

blissomatic

blissomatic is on a distinguished road

Hello there!

I have an issue which is really puzzling and bugging me.

I have always been a little suspicious towards the search function in OS X as I've had a feeling it sometimes didn't find everything I was searching for.
(Being an old windows user I was used to file searching however being slow, being very exact)

Now this concern has gone into something ridiculous. When I search for a file i KNOW is in a certain map it still can't find it. I have a lot of external hard drives which I tend to search a lot (I work with sound effects and love to just do a quick search in my external sample library) but now it can't find most of the files.

Is there something I have missed? An option or a setting? Are there any alternatives for searching files except the built in and spotlight?

I would be really thankful for any insights in this issue. I'm really going nuts browsing thousands of files manually.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

I don't recall if this was available in 10.5, but in snow leopard:
when you type in your search in the finder window, then click the + tab (which will show up under the search once you start typing) you will get more specific search options.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using File Sharing to Back up my Mac | Admin Account Password »