New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Problems installing snow leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

leet_beast

leet_beast is on a distinguished road

I have a
13" macbook
2GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB Ram
49.55 GB Free
10.4.11 (everything up to date)

I Bought the snow leopard family box set so i can install snow leopard from tiger on all 3 of my macs. I tried installing on my macbook, when it asks to restart to begin install, i click the restart button, when it boots up the disk ejects (shortly after the start-up sound but before the apple logo or loading wheel. its currently installing on my G5.

please help
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

have you tried erasing the HD before installing (doing a clean install)?
QUOTE Thanks
leet_beast

do mean deleting everything including OS?
no
QUOTE Thanks
leet_beast

now i haven't changed anything and my macbook wont even recognize the disk and ejects it even if it is booted in tiger

EDIT: it recognizes cd and dvds fine
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Assuming you have an external back up of your system, you may want to try the following.

-insert disc and shut down immediately before it has a chance to spit it out
-then restart holding C until you see the spinning wheel
-click the language
-then once the installer comes up, choose utilities, disk utility in the menu bar
-select erase Macintosh HD, and then quit disk utility and proceed with installer
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Since you say it's reading other DVD's in Tiger then the Optical drive is for sure a DVD drive. I wonder if you got yourself a defective 10.6 DVD? Look at the surface and see if you see any fingerprints or scratches.

Does the 10.6 Family Pack DVD read in your other 2 macs?
QUOTE Thanks
leet_beast

the disk has some minor surface scratches but it reads on my other mac fine
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

This may sound like a stupid question, and I may have misunderstood your original post but - how are you installing Snow Leopard on a G5 system? it's for intel based Macs only...

Is the disc viewable / openable on your other systems? If it is, you could try getting a FW cable and setting the Macbook into target disc mode then use another one of your systems to do the install? Another option would be to use one of the Macs that can read the disc, to make an image of the DVD onto a usb key, then install from the USB key.

This article here is older, but should still help you out with firewire target mode:

Using FireWire Target Disk Mode to Install OS X on Macs without DVD Drives

and here's a current article on installing SL from a usb flash drive:

Install OS X Snow Leopard from a USB flash drive

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
leet_beast

i think the G5 are called mac pros now

thanks for the tips ill try them in a sec
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

No, the G5 were Power Macs - the Mac Pro is the Intel Xeon line - so do you have the Mac Pro, or the G5 Powermac? Cases are similar, but names / designs are different

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
leet_beast

this one
Mac Pro - Apple Store (U.S.)
QUOTE Thanks
JOJO4

JOJO4 is on a distinguished road

-
I have an old desktop IMAC--flashing question mark--with gray background.

Only when I insert Snow Leopard will it attempt to load

will ask me language
and install

but, then reads no memory--restart or try backup

I'll eject disc and screen goes back to flashing question mark

only mouse and keyboard hooked up
HELP

(I do have Mac book pro. Can I use this to somehow restart. It has latest software installed)
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

OP if you have that Mac Pro it cannot be running Tiger. That model came with Snow Leopard early release andLion later. Tiger would not install on that 3.2GHz MacPro.

JOJO do not hijacks another's post but sounds like you a failed hard drive and/or optical drive.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
JOJO4

JOJO4 is on a distinguished road

I am sorry my MAC BOOK Pro currently uses the one beyond Snow Lep. Not understanding where the Lion came in. Anyway, I am new to this so forgive me. I did not hijack another's post. These were the problems I was having and questions I was asking. How do I hijack? I offended that would be accused of such.

THanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Okay... how do I install Mac OS X 10.4 with what I have (Semi-desperate, sorry)? | Safari 6 »