New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.6 - Do I need to backup my harddrive before upgrading to Snow Leapord?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tbird89

tbird89 is on a distinguished road

If I upgrade, will I definitely lose everything on my harddrive? Just wondering, cause I don't have an external HD or Time Capsule.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
mikekan

mikekan is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Pro: 2 x Quad Core Xeon 3.0, 8 Gb RAM, 4TB Storage, 8800 GT

No, you won't lose any applications or preferences if you just upgrade!

You will only lose them if you do a clean install!
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Though, obviously, backing up your files before performing the upgrade is always recommended... Never hurts to play it safe.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

It's a good idea to backup even if you weren't upgrading to Snow Leopard! Yes, of course make a backup. Buy yourself an external hard drive and use a program like SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable backup of your hard drive. Or, use Time Machine.

I had a lot of difficulty upgrading to Snow Leopard from Leopard because of incompatible software which left hooks in the OS. Two tries and two failures. If it were not for my Carbon Copy Cloner bootable backup I would not have been able to restore. I finally had to install Snow Leopard clean and restore from a Time Machine backup that I had also made.

Backups are a must.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

It's not essential, but always a good idea to keep a back up, especially if doing something as major us upgrading your operating system, in case anything goes wrong!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I must disagree.

It is essential to have a backup!

I repeat:

It IS essential to have a backup!

Unless that is you care nothing about any of the data on your hard drive.
There are users like this out there. My wife in fact, fits into this category.

While I am sure the vast majority upgraded without any issues whatsoever,

I upgraded to a kernel panic upon boot and never got into the Operating System. I am not alone.

As chscag, I also had a bootable backup which allowed me to boot to my external, browse the logs, find and remove the errant application that was causing the kernel panic and preventing me from even booting into SL.

If you have any applications you cannot live without until the developers get them fully compatible with SL, another reason for a bootable backup.

Compared to the headaches that occur if your new install fits into any of the probelm areas and considering the price of external storage today, an external backup is an indispensable tool.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.2 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
I must disagree.

It is essential to have a backup!

I repeat:

It IS essential to have a backup!
Let me add to that by saying that you not only need a backup when you upgrade something ...... having regular backups is a must.

There are so many threads on the forum about ( accidental ) deletion of data or even partition tables and then there is the issue of hardware suddenly dying.

In this world there are 2 types of people, those who have reliable backups and those who will.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

I say this with the most light hearted smile....
I must have a chuckle in response to the 2 posts after mine ....when reading me saying "its not essential" and giving no credence to me saying "but always a good idea to keep a back up"

I don't feel the need to spell it out.... but yes, coming from someone who does perform regular back ups, IN MY OPINION, it is essential too, but the question was what it was, and I gave the answer which if read between the lines, which I have no doubt that it was, was answered
So, in future, I think I will take more care to give more detail as to my thoughts on the matter!

An external backup is a bit of a must, and time machine makes it so easy to be safe!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« certificate in safari 4.0.2 | Can not boot after update to 10.4.11 - 'NTLDR is missing' comes up. »