New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.6 - Cannot install on Internal HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bamava

bamava is on a distinguished road

Hi guys!

Long time viewer, finally decided to register

My MBP had been running 10.4 on an upgraded HD (320gb, WD). For the past 2 weeks, 10.6 has been running off an external HD (160gb, WD) because I cannot install Snow on the internal HD.
I run the installer DVD from startup (holding C key), and when it asks where to install the OS, it does not list the internal HD, but only the optical drive and external HD (if connected). Disk Utility from Installer also reflects this.

The internal HD appears 'active' (in finder, disk utility) once the OS has booted from the external HD.

I have tried numerous suggestions such as:
Waiting
Re-formatted internal HD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Partitioned into 2 volumes (100gb & 220gb), map scheme ''GUILD Partition Table''

Any more ideas and suggestions are welcomed.. please feel free to ask more q's as I may have left something out.

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Even though you've reformatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), have you tried booting from installation disc, in utilities choosing the erase HD option (Clean Install)?
Perhaps even removing partition, then trying again if that doesn't work, and then later on, adding partition if you need it?
QUOTE Thanks
bamava

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane fremder View Post
Even though you've reformatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), have you tried booting from installation disc, in utilities choosing the erase HD option (Clean Install)?
Perhaps even removing partition, then trying again if that doesn't work, and then later on, adding partition if you need it?

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, no deal.

I booted from the installation disc, and when the installer screen prompted me where to install, there was still no hd. I quit the installer, selected the startup disc (external hd), and when I opened up Finder the hard drive WAS visible.

I also removed the partition and have re-booted from the installation disc.

Have ALSO tried installing from desktop, where I can ACTUALLY select the hard drive. It starts installing as normal, but when it reaches around 30%, the MBK reboots itself with installation incomplete..

ARRGGH! HELP!
QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

what if you swap the drives? put the smaller 10.6 drive as an internal, format the other bigger drive so you wipe everything and then install a fresh os ... if you completely wipe a drive and then boot from your installation disks, it should be able to install the system
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Im not sure if you got me from your response, but before trying to install, in the menu bar did you go to utilities/disk utility/Macintosh HD -->erase ?
QUOTE Thanks
bamava

Quote:
Originally Posted by scathe View Post
what if you swap the drives? put the smaller 10.6 drive as an internal, format the other bigger drive so you wipe everything and then install a fresh os ... if you completely wipe a drive and then boot from your installation disks, it should be able to install the system
Sorry not too sure what you mean? SOrrry? again? I'm a complete n00b when it comes to this..

Quote:
Im not sure if you got me from your response, but before trying to install, in the menu bar did you go to utilities/disk utility/Macintosh HD -->erase ?
Just to clarify things.. OSX SL installer disc cannot recognise the internal HD on my MBP when I boot from installer disc ('C' on startup), therefore, it does not provide any options in Disc Utility for THAT HD.
The external USB HD is recognised and appears in disc utility, so consequently I installed the OSX SL on it until I find the reason to why the internal HD is not recognised on startup.

The internal HD does appear and is usable once in OSX. And that is when I accessed utilities/disk utility/Macintosh HD -->erase on the internal hd.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

just a stab in the dark, but sounds like if you boot from your (USB) external disk, then you will be able to remove partition on your mac hd, and erase disk, and then maybe you will be able to install
QUOTE Thanks
bamava

Quote:
just a stab in the dark, but sounds like if you boot from your (USB) external disk, then you will be able to remove partition on your mac hd, and erase disk, and then maybe you will be able to install
yep yep! I get you.. and yes, I've done that. lol Its a never ending cycle. Mac HD is currently partition free and is yet to be recognised on startup.

I attempted installing (Again) SL from desktop, chose the Mac HD, and again it decided to reboot 1/4 into the installation.

I'm even thinking of just going back to Tiger!! and it DID install something because the Mac HD contains a folder Mac OS X Install Data with content. So.. *sigh*
QUOTE Thanks
6string

****....... I think at this stage, could be worth ringing tech support, as you get 90day free tech support with SL.... and if they cant help you, suss out if you take your computer to an apple retailer/service centre if they will install it free of charge! :/
QUOTE Thanks
bamava

ok,
so.. I've called Apple support and they asked me to try a few things.. all of which haven't helped.

Turn off MBP, remove battery, then to press the power button for 5 seconds. Replace battery and start as normal. Not sure what that does, but didnt help.

Seeing as tho I was able to re-install Tiger, he asked me to run Tiger installation disk and erase the hard drive with 'Zero-out Data' option checked (security options). Didn't work.

I'll give them another call and see what else they can suggest... hmmm..
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

If you boot from the original Tiger DVD, does the Internal Drive show up and let you select it?
QUOTE Thanks
bamava

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
If you boot from the original Tiger DVD, does the Internal Drive show up and let you select it?
Yes it does. I can reinstall Tiger, which I have done, as normal.

Also, when I press OPTION on startup, I can see the MAC HD, CD/DVD and External HD.. so yes, very odd.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

When you boot with the 10.6 DVD, the drive does not show at all in the list or shows with a the red caution thing on it? I still think it's an issue with the partition table somehow as since the switch to Intel I have had a few issues but was always to solve it in the Disk Utility.
QUOTE Thanks
bamava

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
When you boot with the 10.6 DVD, the drive does not show at all in the list or shows with a the red caution thing on it? I still think it's an issue with the partition table somehow as since the switch to Intel I have had a few issues but was always to solve it in the Disk Utility.
When I boot from the 10.6 DVD, the drive does not appear AT ALL. As a destination drive, or within Disk Utility.. it does not appear.

As previously discussed with the team leader at apple support, I left a VM if I still had issues with it, and he has yet to call me back. lol
QUOTE Thanks
bamava

..Could the issue be something to do with the brand of HD I have? Currently a 320gb Western Digital drive? I wouldn't think so, because it's installed on the 160gb Western Digital HD.

I'm thinking of maybe getting another one to test. Anyone recommend anything?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do you customize icons in Tiger? | 10.4 to 10.6? How? »