New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.6 - 2nd Kernel Panic since Snow Leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bobross

bobross is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Intel 2.4, 10.6.1, XP Partition | 1st Gen Time Capsule | 5th Gen 30GB iPod

Based on the mismatched information I have been able to gather about Kernel Panics, it could be anything. I'm wondering if it may be a problem with my memory. If anyone has any thoughts on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2009-09-10 at 5.44.19 PM.png (144.8 KB, 19 views)
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Run Apple Hardware Test from disc one of your MacBook system restore discs and check it out.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Could be many things. Have you installed any third party RAM recently?

If the AHT comes back clean, try verifying and repairing your disk permissions using your OS X install disc (don't install or format anything of course).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

It could also be incompatible software. Did you do a clean install of Snow Leopard, or just a straight upgrade?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Could definitely be memory related.

None of mine have been. So far I have been able to pinpoint the cause of my Kernel Panics by opening up Console (in Applications / Utilities) and browsing through the logs.

I had one upon the install of SL that prevented the machine from even booting.
A rogue piece of software was the cause. Eliminating the cause is not always as easy as finding what it is.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
bobross

Mac Specs: MacBook Intel 2.4, 10.6.1, XP Partition | 1st Gen Time Capsule | 5th Gen 30GB iPod

I trashed some freeware I don't use.

I updated to 10.6.1 (which came out today by the way)

I am currently doing a "critical" Office 2008 update, I checked the logs and ppt had a very long string of error codes. Doesn't surprise me at all.

When I installed Office the boot time slowed considerably. SL didn't really fix that, but my MB shuts down faster.

Before I did each of these individually I vainly attempted to do a few too many things at once - and at that time experienced another Kernel Panic, which suggest memory issues to me. I do not have third party memory, but that really doesn't mean anything.

I also did a disk verify and repair, that went smoothly.

I think I've done all I can do. Now I will debate on how I might be able to acquire greater evidence that the memory needs to be replaced. That will be $200.00, not really looking forward to that.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

$200.00 to replace the memory? Where are you buying your memory from?

Crucial and OWC price for 2 x 2 GB modules is around $55 to $60.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
bobross

I've just read too many bad reviews about Crucial, I might consider Corsair but even then I rather test it myself, on a computer that did not belong to me.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobross View Post
I've just read too many bad reviews about Crucial, I might consider Corsair but even then I rather test it myself, on a computer that did not belong to me.
I've used Crucial exclusively for both my company where I support over a thousand machines, my own personal machines as well as my private business repairing PCs and I've never had a faulty module - not one, in well over 2000 modules that I've purchased from them. I only had to deal with their customer service on one occasion (I was trying to match part numbers to upgrade to a dual-channel setup and got the wrong part) and their CS was exemplary.

Crucial is the retail arm of Micron, the largest memory supplier in the world. They are an OEM to all of the major vendors (including Apple) and many of the other brands (like Corsair) who don't actually make their own chips, buy them from Micron.

Not sure where you're reading reviews, but almost everything I've ever seen mimics my own experience.

Even if you decide not to go with Crucial, the other memory supplier that I recommend is OWC as they are very well rated and use high quality Mac-verified memory modules. I have a hard time recommending Corsair as they advertise their products via paid shills in the form of forum spammers.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
bobross

That is interesting. I've actually never seen a Corsair ad, much less spam. What I do know is that based on my experience they produce quality products.

While I am moved by your passion for Crucial, the irony does not escape me. That is, for a forum moderator to be condemning "forum spammers" in this case memory module manufacturers, while at the same time so ardently singing the praises of this forums sponsor (re: ad at the top of the page).

I mean no disrespect sir, I promise. But I'm sure I'm not the only one reading this with a bit of a smirk. I just happen to have no problem 'going there' as they say.

I believe the next reply should read; 'oohno he dent't'
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
That is interesting. I've actually never seen a Corsair ad, much less spam. What I do know is that based on my experience they produce quality products.

While I am moved by your passion for Crucial, the irony does not escape me. That is, for a forum moderator to be condemning "forum spammers" in this case memory module manufacturers, while at the same time so ardently singing the praises of this forums sponsor (re: ad at the top of the page).

I mean no disrespect sir, I promise. But I'm sure I'm not the only one reading this with a bit of a smirk. I just happen to have no problem 'going there' as they say.

Yes, I am moderator here, but am not an employee. I'm a member just like you, but have certain abilities beyond simply posting. I also don't see the ads since as a moderator, I have premium membership.

QUOTE Thanks
bobross

Oh yes, I believe I read something about not seeing ads with the membership upgrade. Well...., okay then. Thank You for the advice.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:

You read too much into it. Neither he nor I nor any of the other moderators here are paid a cent or as far as I am aware, have any financial stake in the forum whatsoever. Am pretty sure cwa also browses the site using the "ad free" skin (which is available to all Premium Members) and would not have a clue who the advertisers happen to be.

I understand cwa's response to Corsair for example. They do go about advertising in a way that could definitely be seen as spam. But I have been a fan of their memory for many years, only because I used their high end memory specifically for overclocking and came to rely on them in that scenario. So much so that I am using some of their CAS4 memory in my MBP.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
bobross

This morning I got my answer. I attempted to boot my MB only to hear the fatal continuous beep, beep, beep, beep....

I checked and the memory is installed correctly (obviously). I called Apple and the support rep scheduled an appointment for noon at the Apple store downtown. He agreed that it seemed to be faulty memory. But of course they still have to check it out before replacing it (yes, still under warranty). I will be very disappointed if they don't.

"Don't anthropomorphize computers; they hate that!"
QUOTE Thanks
mr.lumberg

mr.lumberg is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" unibody MBP, Core Duo 2.66, NIVIDEA 9400 graphics, 4GB DDR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Yes, I am moderator here, but am not an employee. I'm a member just like you, but have certain abilities beyond simply posting. I also don't see the ads since as a moderator, I have premium membership.
I also don't see ads, since as a Firefox user I can run Adblock Plus! ;-)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Should I revert back to Tiger, or will Snow Leopard help me? | It says it's connected. But it's not! »