New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - TMP folder in trash, Cannot copy and paste

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joshuamhart

joshuamhart is on a distinguished road

I stupidly deleted the TMP folder from my macbook, I won't go into detail why I did, bad move I know now.

But anyway I soon found on a few forums how this folder contains information essential for copy and paste, drag and drop, and spotlight usages. I cannot obviously not copy and paste, drag and drop or access spotlight anymore..

I found the folder in the trash bin, problem being I cannot copy and paste or drag and drop back into "macintosh" as this is the folder needed to do this in the first place, Can anyone help with this problem?

I have attempted to burn the folder to disc but the disc will not allow it

Any help would be greatly appreciate, please excuse my stupidity in deleting it in the first place
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Download TinkerTool and use it to show hidden files and folders

Then create a new tmp folder in
hard disk/private/tmp

Make sure all users have read write access to that folder

OF course, a restart may just force the system to recreate a tmp folder but I am not sure

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
joshuamhart

I'm sorry you might have to simplify this for me

I downloaded tinkertool however upon trying to open the application an error message pops up "an unexpected error occured (error code - 10822)

I attempted a restart but no such luck, on creating a new tmp folder how do I go about inserting it's contents too? as they all lay in the trash at the moment
QUOTE Thanks
joshuamhart

sorry... stupidity getting the better of me again, it worked brilliantly, thanks so much for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
Shmorganboard

Shmorganboard is on a distinguished road

Apparently I'm stupid too. I did the same exact thing you did but I can't get past the "unexpected error" with TinkerTool. If you could tell me how you did it that would be great. I can't seem to find any other way to get my copy/paste and drag and drop back.

Thanks,
Morgan
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Aliases not working | Why the 2 different CPU % readings . . . ??? »