New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.6 - Snow Leopard Won't Clean Cookies

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hookbill

hookbill is on a distinguished road

What happens is that I tell it to clear all cookies and it does. 5 minutes later they are all back!

Anybody else notice this? What can we do to fix or notify Apple? It's hard to believe they would miss something like this.

I'm going to try to clean them out using yasu and see if that helps out any.

Proud Owner Of the TiVo S3 and TiVoHD
Mac Snow Leopard 24" desktop 1tb hard drive
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Snow Leopard does not have cookies. Cookies would be applicable to Safari, Firefox, Opera, Camino and/or any other web browser you may be using.

Which web browser are you using and what method are you using to clear the cookies?
If after clearing the cookies, you immediately open up your browser and start browsing the web, you'll have new cookies.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
hookbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Snow Leopard does not have cookies. Cookies would be applicable to Safari, Firefox, Opera, Camino and/or any other web browser you may be using.

Which web browser are you using and what method are you using to clear the cookies?
If after clearing the cookies, you immediately open up your browser and start browsing the web, you'll have new cookies.
I'm sorry. I should have been more specific. I meant to say Safari won't clean cookies. But this has just started when I went to Snow Leopard.

When I ran Yasu this seem to clear up the issue. Don't know why Safari didn't clean it up.

I just checked Firefox and the cookies I cleaned up there are gone now. But Yasu only cleaned up the ones in my default browser, Safari not Firefox.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Don't know, just tried it on mine for the first time since the upgrade and no issue with clearing cookies using Safari preferences here.

QUOTE Thanks
hookbill

Quote:
Don't know, just tried it on mine for the first time since the upgrade and no issue with clearing cookies using Safari preferences here.
Yes, mine appeared to clean up too. But then I notice when going to web pages that it should have asked me for passwords and such I wasn't getting a prompt. I looked in my cookies and I'll be darn if every last one of them wern't back, including all the adware and such. 2 times this happened.

With the Yasu clean up at this point it seems to be taken care of. Take another look at your cookies after a bit and see if they returned.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Well, it's not your imagination.

They are now officially - all back.

Just to verify - had a couple of my regular sites open in tabs that I had not logged back into and were showing me as a guest.
Hit the refresh button, and am now logged in again.
That was the first time I'd cleared the cookies since the upgrade - cookies for all the sites I've been in the last week are definitely back.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

It's now been 20 minutes since I deleted them for the 2nd time.

So far, they are all still gone.

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

I'm still having issues with one site, and I have to clear the cookies for it manually every day, otherwise it won't log me in.
It's fine on my laptop running 10.5.6, but Snow Leopard/Safari 4 is a no go atm.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
hookbill

Quote:
Well, it's not your imagination.

They are now officially - all back.

Just to verify - had a couple of my regular sites open in tabs that I had not logged back into and were showing me as a guest.
Hit the refresh button, and am now logged in again.
That was the first time I'd cleared the cookies since the upgrade - cookies for all the sites I've been in the last week are definitely back.
I deleted them 3 times and they came back. Since I deleted them with Yasu no return.

Thanks for confirming my sanity. What a bizarre bug!

So what happens now, we just live with it or is there a way to report it to Apple?

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Here's the Bug Report Form in the Developers area.

Do not know if you have to be a member there in order to file a report or not.

I have not had them return after deleting them for the 2nd time, so I'll probably check it out in another few days.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« black box around text | Terminal Password Errors »