Arrow Macs have one-too-many clicks, compared to PC
    I'm a new mac user and I have a question: Why, compared to Windows/PC computers, do macs require that additional click of the mouse to select the window before working in it/selecting things in it? How do I change this to one-less-click? It seems like this would be a simple thing to adjust, to make mac OS operate (in this way alone) the same was as win.

Any suggests/answers?

Thank you everyone!

Dan

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by danprater View Post
    ...make mac OS operate (in this way alone) the same was as win.

Any suggests/answers?
    Yes.

Don't try to make one OS operate like another.
    Doing so will only make things harder for you to get used to and more difficult for you to learn the new one.

They can achieve the same end result... the only difference is the path you take to get there.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    Many controls can be activated if the window is in the background. Some can't. It usually depends on how "dangerous" the control is if it were accidentally clicked.

For example, when Mail is in the background, the New Message, Check Mail, and New To-Do buttons are available, because all of those are fairly harmless if you accidentally click them. The Delete button is not available unless Mail is active, because you don't want to accidentally delete mail when you're just activating the window.

Specs:
    MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.4.1
    Do you have a specific example of an application which is not behaving as you believe it should? Generalities don't help anyone understand your question very easily. welcome to the Mac club, so to speak.
    Never judge a man, untill you have walked a mile in his shoes...
    That way you'll be a mile away from him, and you'll have his shoes.

Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    I've always found it frustrating that Windows frequently does something I didn't want it to do. To me, that "extra click" is a safety valve many times. For instance, in a Windows window (I think they call it the Explorer, which is easily confused with the web browser) I have to be very selective about where I click, or it will assume I want a folder to open that I don't. It's annoying that I have to slow down to pick a "dead spot" so that I don't have to back up to where I wanted to be in order to do what I wanted to do in the first place. I think I can click twice faster on my Mac than any option available to me with Windows.

Specs:
    27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S
    Quote Originally Posted by danprater View Post
    I'm a new mac user and I have a question: Why, compared to Windows/PC computers, do macs require that additional click of the mouse to select the window before working in it/selecting things in it? How do I change this to one-less-click? It seems like this would be a simple thing to adjust, to make mac OS operate (in this way alone) the same was as win.

Any suggests/answers?

Thank you everyone!

Dan
    As a non widows person then how does windows know which app your click is intended for? On the Mac i can have up 8 or 10 apps open at one time and it makes sense to me to activate the app i wish to deal with, so as you pose the question, so i would be interested how windows deals with apps in the background.

Thread Information