New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.6 - Dashboard won't open

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nickyr

nickyr is a jewel in the roughnickyr is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2012 IMac 27", mid 2010 Macbook, OSX 10.9.5, iPhone 5, iPad 3, iOS 8, Apple TV 3, iPod Classic

Hi all

I recently upgraded from Tiger to Leopard and then to Snow Leopard.

I've never really used dashboard before but when checking all the apps after upgrading I found that it will no longer open. It's still listed in the apps part of Finder but clicking on it won't launch the app.

Any ideas anyone?

Nick
QUOTE Thanks
guigo

guigo is on a distinguished road

same here.

Just wondering: have you installed MagicMenu before upgrading to 10.6?

reason I'm asking this is because I did. After I installed MagicMenu weird things started to happen (such as insomniax not loading and apps that use Keychain lost acces to it).
I thought that upgrading would fix the issue, and for a while it seemed it did, but then I started noticing other problems. MagicMenu works with some apps but not all, dashboard won't load and insomniax (v1.3.3 (10.6 compatible)) fails to load most of the time.

Your feedback would only serve to allocate the blame, for I'm sure that the only solution for us is a clean install "windows fashion": backup, format, install leopard and upgrade to snow leopard.

cheers!
Gui
QUOTE Thanks
nickyr

Mac Specs: late 2012 IMac 27", mid 2010 Macbook, OSX 10.9.5, iPhone 5, iPad 3, iOS 8, Apple TV 3, iPod Classic

Sorry but I haven't got any apps like that installed - just the plain system

Also, Quicktime doesn't open
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

I'm not sure about Dashboard, but are you trying to open Quicktime Player 7 from the Dock? If so, you'll have to drag it back into the Dock because in Snow Leopard, QT7 has been moved to the Utilities folder. Maybe something similar is going on with Dashboard. Try removing the icons from the Dock and dragging them in from the Applications folder again.

For a minute I was afraid that they'd completely replaced QT7 with QTX because none of my .mov files would open with it anymore and it didn't appear in my Apps folder.
QUOTE Thanks
nickyr

Thanks for the response.

I don't have Quicktime in the utilities folder - it's just in Finder. Same goes for Dashboard
QUOTE Thanks
nickyr

sorry to bump this back up - dashboard is fine on my wife's and daughter's user account but not mine. Any suggestions? Anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
nabl

nabl has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork 09

Have you tried using Spotlight to search for Dashboard? If not, click the magnifying glass at the top right of your screen (or press Command-Space) and type in Dashboard and press Return. If it successfully opens, open Spotlight again and hold down the Command key and click on Dashboard or press Return to reveal it in Finder. This will show you the location of the functioning application. If it isn’t in your Applications folder, move it there.

If that doesn’t work, try opening Disk Utility with Spotlight (or from your Utilities folder), click Macintosh HD in the list on the left side of the window, and then click on Repair Disk Permissions toward the bottom center of the window. After it finishes, try opening Dashboard again.

If it still doesn’t work, perhaps you could just make a new account.
QUOTE Thanks
guigo

guigo is on a distinguished road

one of the widgets that you have installed might be conflicting with the 10.6 update.

Go to ~/Library/Widgets in Finder and delete the widgets you installed, and try loading dashboard again.
if you don't want to delete the widgets, move them to another folder.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

move the dashboard preference file to the desktop, log out and back in

Users / your user / Library / Preferences / com.Apple.dashboard.plist

Wouldn't move the dashboard.client.plist unless the one above doesn't do the trick

If it works / doesn't work - you can move them to the trash afterwards or put them back where they came from.
The system will create new ones.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
okagawa

okagawa is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I had the same problem on my MacBook(Core Duo) when I upgraded from Tiger to Snow Leopard.

My solution was to remove
/Users/(username)/Library/Caches/com.apple.dashboard.client
and log out, then log in again.
Now the dashboard widgets works fine as before.

Hope this helps you.
QUOTE Thanks
nickyr

Sorry if I come across as a complete idiot, but to the above posters (bobtomay and okagawa), where do I type in users/username, etc.......

I've tried in finder and spotlight but nothing was found.

what have the Roman's ever done for us?

QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyr View Post
Sorry if I come across as a complete idiot, but to the above posters (bobtomay and okagawa), where do I type in users/username, etc.......

I've tried in finder and spotlight but nothing was found.
No typing required:
Open Finder in Column View, then click on your (User) House Icon, then click on your Library Folder, then click on the Preference folder or Caches folder in the library folder as above.

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
nickyr

Thank you everyone for your help.

Bobtomay's response did the trick - thanks!

what have the Roman's ever done for us?

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Pro 8 Core slow to lookup Hard Drives | Snow Leopard Clean Install »