New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.6 - Very slow startup w/ Snow Leopard.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wezman2k

wezman2k is an unknown at this point

I have no idea why, but every time I reboot my system there is a progress bar (which I've never seen before until Snow Leopard) on the grey Apple startup screen. Seems like it takes several minutes to reboot. It never did this with Leopard.

I have a 2007 Santa Rosa MPB, 2.4ghz and 4 gigs of ram. Anyone know what the cause of this is? I don't have any odd applications set to load on startup that should be causing this.

EDIT: I spose I'll give you some more details. I did this as a fresh install on a new hard drive. S.M.A.R.T. status checks out ok, however when verifying permissions I get a message that says Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

I read on an Apple doc that it's nothing to worry about, but I'm wondering if this isn't related to the extremely slow startup times.
QUOTE Thanks
bertandmax

bertandmax is on a distinguished road

i have had the same problem - but i get a blank blue screen for ages. I also get the same message after running the permissions check

this is on a MBPro 2.4Ghz
QUOTE Thanks
Snookik

Snookik is on a distinguished road

look at my post... i had the same problem.. you need to re-install
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

It would have been nice if you provided the OP with a link to your post.

To the OP:

Are you sure your system is not starting in SAFE mode? I've never seen the progress bar except for when I started in SAFE mode. I know my question sounds silly because you would have to press the "shift" key to start in SAFE mode, but I've seen stranger things happen.

Anyway, take the advice of the previous post and try a clean reinstall again.

But this time when you boot with the SL DVD, stop the install and instead use Disk Utilities from the Utilities top menu to verify and repair the drive if necessary. If everything checks out OK, proceed with the install.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Try to reset the PRAM?
QUOTE Thanks
cwwebster

cwwebster is on a distinguished road

I have had the same problem with two of four machines. Rebuilt both of them. Both new machines. Also followed other threads on other boards about HP drivers, etc. NOTHING seems to make it go away. The only thing I can find in common is that after the rebuild everything works well until I connect\bind to Active directory. The cached account is slow when not directly connected to the network. Has to be a timeout of some type. Is the machine you are talking about bound to active directory?
QUOTE Thanks
scottbak

scottbak is on a distinguished road

I have also been plagued with the same slowness (60-90 seconds). I tried ONYX, moving items from Documents to another places, removed icons from desktop, Command V, checked console, etc... I found that after celaring caches using ONYX, that the OS could not re-create them. In console (all messages), I was getting: Can't create kext cache under / - owner not root.. Welp, to fix it just drop to the terminal and type: "sudo chown root:admin /" (without quotes) and BAM! System boot up in 6 seconds. Let me know if this works for you.

Scott
QUOTE Thanks
wezman2k

wezman2k is an unknown at this point

i full restored snow leopard to fix the problem, haven't had it since.
QUOTE Thanks
syamand

syamand is on a distinguished road

im using macbook pro for 4 months ... i really disappointed from mac , it also have strange problems and its not like windows !!

when i reboot my macbook pro it show a progress bar and i have to wait 3 to 4 mints
how to solve this

REgards
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Its not like Windows?

Well blow me down sailor!!

For your slow startup check what is installed under Login Items. Some applications like to install under startup. Also are you by chance running antivirus software which is not necessary as there are no Mac OS X viruses?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Apple has some suggestions:
Mac OS X 10.6 Help: If your computer stops or delays while starting up

Other things to try:

- Reinstall the OS X 10.6 Combined Updater right over what is installed currently. You can find the Combined Updater here:
Mac OS X v10.6.6 Update Combo

- Shut down your Mac. Detach all third party peripherals, including hard drives, USB hubs, and non-apple mice and keyboards (re-attach the Apple originals). Restart and see if things are better. If they are, re-attach peripherals one at a time between restarts until you find the problematic one.

- Check to see how full your hard drive is. If it is approximately 80% full, it is extremely likely your drive is too full for your Mac to function properly. It's time to get a new external hard drive and offload a bunch of data from your internal drive.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

I've had slow start up times with my MacBook on two occasions. Once was after installing Snow Leopard, and the other was just recently after installing a new HDD. My normal start up time to a usable desktop is about 45 seconds. On the above occasions it increased to 1min to 1min 30secs. A rest of the PRAM solved the problem.

Restart your MacBook while holding down the Cmd/Option(Alt)/P/R keys. Wait until you hear the chime for the second time and then release the keys.
QUOTE Thanks
malcolmx99

malcolmx99 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbak View Post
I have also been plagued with the same slowness (60-90 seconds). I tried ONYX, moving items from Documents to another places, removed icons from desktop, Command V, checked console, etc... I found that after celaring caches using ONYX, that the OS could not re-create them. In console (all messages), I was getting: Can't create kext cache under / - owner not root.. Welp, to fix it just drop to the terminal and type: "sudo chown root:admin /" (without quotes) and BAM! System boot up in 6 seconds. Let me know if this works for you.

Scott
Scott,
I have being converted from Windows about 6 mths ago. And have loved using it every single day. Admit being a download junky - download and test many kinds of apps/softwares to try on my new Macbook Pro. And maybe cos I have installed too many software in it (after testing and deleting), the bootup was slow to a crawl (up to 2 minutes with the apple logo), after signing into my account, takes another 1 minute to load. (No login items)
Tried using Oynx, reset PRAM, nothing works....

Nearly resorted to reinstall my OS. until now!

Long story short - Thanks a million Scott, for saving me a long of time, cos your method works! Now it's booting up smoothly (still not 6 seconds, but a heck lot faster).
Thanks for saving the day!

Malcolm
QUOTE Thanks
Gemless Ear

Gemless Ear is on a distinguished road

Scott,

I have been having similar trouble (very recently) with super-slow startups. I saw your advice: drop to the terminal and type: "sudo chown root:admin /"

But I have no idea what "drop to the terminal and type" means. Could you please explain?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Gemless Ear

Gemless Ear is on a distinguished road

Oops! I should have addressed that last to Scottbak.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help going back to OSX 10.6.3 from 10.7.2 | Strange behaviour in mail and safari - security problem? »