New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - How long do you think..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Core2 Duo 4Gb Ram / Powermac G5 2 TB RAID , 16GB Ram Running Leopard

I will be able to realistically run Leopard since Apple has ended OS support for my beloved Powermac G5 dual 2.0. This machine was a major investment and I have performed major upgrades to it. It is still so fast that it is beyond comprehension for me. I still do all my work on it and then when I am away from home I use my Intel Core Duo Macbook Pro. I want to hang onto it as long as I can before I am forced to sell a kidney and and get a Macpro. I guess I still feel like Apple tossed us G5 users under the bus when it came to Snow Leopard. I love leopard it is a good OS but I know at some point the party is over for it. I am just trying to figure out how much m ore time my beloved G5 has left on earth.

Thanks for any input.

"All great change in America begins at the dinner table."-Ronald Reagan
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I'm in the same boat as you. Conceivably you can run Leopard until the machine itself dies as long as there is software that meets your needs. The problem is, Snow Leopard was a signal to software developers that the old code/architecture is now "officially" dead, so stop using it. Many software vendors will continue to write PPC code for a while but eventually the well will simply dry up. Your best bet may be to just upgrade sooner rather than later and get the pain over with.

I plan on buying a Quad Intel MacPro by years end.

QUOTE Thanks
Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Core2 Duo 4Gb Ram / Powermac G5 2 TB RAID , 16GB Ram Running Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. Conceivably you can run Leopard until the machine itself dies as long as there is software that meets your needs. The problem is, Snow Leopard was a signal to software developers that the old code/architecture is now "officially" dead, so stop using it. Many software vendors will continue to write PPC code for a while but eventually the well will simply dry up. Your best bet may be to just upgrade sooner rather than later and get the pain over with.

I plan on buying a Quad Intel MacPro by years end.

Thanks for the input, I know your right and I will most likely do that very thing, I guess I have a somewhat emotional attachment to this machine as well, it was my first real precision desktop. I have created so much stuff with this machine it kills me. I am more than happy with Leopard also it runs really fast. I guess probably next year I will bite the bullet and look at a Macpro. Thanks again.

"All great change in America begins at the dinner table."-Ronald Reagan
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Hey baggss... wanna buy me a quad core mac pro too? :-P hehe

And sharpshooter, I know how you feel... when my dual 2GHz PM G5 decided that the poor ventilation and several years of built up pot and cigarette smoke had done it in, I was heart broken. I had recorded 4 albums of rock and roll onto that baby... so sad. Don't get me wrong, I love my macbook and all... but I miss my huge 50 pound tower of power with its optical surround sound and 23 inch display... It's still sitting around in my dad's basement. Maybe one day I'll find a cheap logic board replacement for it and do the surgery myself...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mouse issue | Snow Leopard question »