Install 10.5 on powerPC G5
    I have an iMac powerPC G5 that was having some problems and my wife lost the 10.4 install disc that came with it. We wound up buying a new iMac anyway, and I thought I could install 10.5 from the CD that came with the new iMac to the power PC G5 to see it that would fix the issues. When I tried booting to this CD I got a message saying OSX could not be installed on this computer. I read online that 10.5 could not be installed on an APM formatted drive so I tried reformatting the drive to GUID, but I still get the error and now I don't have any OS on it. The computer exceeds the min requirements. I would buy the 10.5 retail CD if this would fix the problem, but I'm worried that I'll run into the same error. Any advice?

Thanks,
    Tom

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by thustead View Post
    I have an iMac powerPC G5 that was having some problems and my wife lost the 10.4 install disc that came with it. We wound up buying a new iMac anyway, and I thought I could install 10.5 from the CD that came with the new iMac to the power PC G5 to see it that would fix the issues. When I tried booting to this CD I got a message saying OSX could not be installed on this computer. I read online that 10.5 could not be installed on an APM formatted drive so I tried reformatting the drive to GUID, but I still get the error and now I don't have any OS on it. The computer exceeds the min requirements. I would buy the 10.5 retail CD if this would fix the problem, but I'm worried that I'll run into the same error. Any advice?

Thanks,
    Tom
    You cannot use the grey/silver disks from the new iMac on your G5 iMac...the disks are model specific.

An even if you could do it...you're not supposed to...since it's against the Apple EULA (end-user license agreement).

If you need to install 10.5 on your G5 iMac...you need to purchase a retail copy of 10.5.

HTH,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Also the 10.5 DVD that came with that Intel IMac only installs on Intel hardware besides everything Pigoo said above and would never install on a Power PC CPU.

Specs:
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
    You can install Leopard on a PowerPC, but you can't do it with disks from another Mac. You have to actually buy it. Sorry!

(from scienceteecher.com)
    17" MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.2 Snow Leopard

Thread Information