New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.6 - Safari Reinstall on Snow Leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zimbu1234

zimbu1234 is on a distinguished road

Trying to reinstall Safari on Snow Leopard in order to fix a RealPlayer issue.

This always worked on 10.5. Now when I download Safari, it gives me a message taht it can't install on this disk. See image. Anyone know where I can get the SL version of Safari?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Install Safari.jpg (57.2 KB, 10 views)
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

It's probably going to require Pacifist and extracting it from the SL disk.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

It's actually included as an optional install on the Snow Leopard disc.

And frankly, removing Safari won't help with a plugin (RealPlayer) issue. Plugins are completely separate.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Thanks technologist - guess I should check and see what all is available there.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
It's actually included as an optional install on the Snow Leopard disc.
Excellent info Tech as always. I am glad they did that as we have so many who delete Safari and want it back. That will make it very easy to reinstall for them.
QUOTE Thanks
zimbu1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
And frankly, removing Safari won't help with a plugin (RealPlayer) issue. Plugins are completely separate.
I disagree with this. It is a solution that worked for me in the past. I don't have any of the tech details except that, on a mac, Safari is required for RealPlayer to work. When I had problems logging into my Real account, uninstalling and reinstalling did the trick. However, I am sure there is a better way.

I'll try reinstalling from the SL DVD and let you know how it goes.
QUOTE Thanks
zimbu1234

Ha, reinstalling Safari off the SL DVD fixed my issue! Told ya so..nya nya nya !!!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I hate Real Player so much I would not doubt anything relating to it and an issue!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

I wonder why it is that pretty much all of us old timers that spent any time doing tech support have Real, AOL and Norton at the top of our hate lists. (Not necessarily in that order.)

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
I wonder why it is that pretty much all of us old timers that spent any time doing tech support have Real, AOL and Norton at the top of our hate lists. (Not necessarily in that order.)
Funny you should mention the Top 3!

I loved Norton back when Peter Norton owned the company. After I guess 2000 or so it went down hill and I stopped using it. I remember Norton Utilities saving deleted partitions and bringing them back totally intact on both Windows and the old Mac with System and early Mac OS. Then they went down hill.

AOL I never really liked but used it because at one time you got 5 accounts for one not bad price and I lived with that many room mates. What the roomies did not know though is I got my own private account with a local ISP at the time because I was FED UP with AOL.

Real Player I have always had hatred for. It has gotten better over the years but I still really do not like it.
QUOTE Thanks
zimbu1234

I use RealPlayer for one specific reason. Other than that, I would not have it installed.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 10.4 expose and menu problems... | Problems upgrading to Tiger from Panther! »