New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.6 - Snow Leopard not compatible with my printer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sholdzy

sholdzy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro 2GB

Hey guys,

Just installed Snow Leopard a few days ago and went to print off a simple one-page Word document today, but there doesn't seem to be any connection with my computer and the printer.

The printer is a Epson Stylus NX400, which worked just fine in the previous version of Leopard.

Now, when I print something, the little printer utility icon pops up in the doc, a red number 1 shows up letting me know something is in the queue, and then the queue vanishes. It is as if the printer won't accept the file. The same thing happens with any other file as well.

I downloaded the latest drivers (manually, even though Snow Leopard is supposed to do that automatically now...) but to no avail.

Any ideas or similar problems out there?

Portfolio: Carson Shold Design
QUOTE Thanks
apollosministry

apollosministry is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13 macbook 2.4 ghz, 2gb memory, 250 hard drive

I loaded Snow Leopard Aug 29 and now I cannot use my HP Deskjet 3845 printer. after further investigation I found that drivers are not available for Mac OS version 10.6

any suggestions on how to find drivers for printer? I really need a printer, if I cannot figure out I need to purchase new printer!

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

I have the same problem. A person at Apple support told me there was apparently a problem with the HP supplied drivers and he "guessed" they would be working hard on the problem to solve it "as quickly as possible." He even emailed me the driver they have but it did not work either.
QUOTE Thanks
apollosministry

Oh, good, at least I am not the only one with "issues"

I appreciate the comments! I am not sure what to do about printing! ahh!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaNoHair View Post
I have the same problem. A person at Apple support told me there was apparently a problem with the HP supplied drivers and he "guessed" they would be working hard on the problem to solve it "as quickly as possible." He even emailed me the driver they have but it did not work either.
Let's hope for your sake and that of others who own various HP printers that are not supported by Snow Leopard that HP will act quickly. However, past experience with them regarding new drivers even for Windows, leads me to believe that it might be best to look for an alternative.

You might want to give the open source drivers provided here a try.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
apollosministry

Thanks, I will give that a try!
QUOTE Thanks
Gray

Gray is on a distinguished road

Initially, after installing Snow Leopard on my iMac the new OS didn't recognize my printer, which is a basic budget HP Deskjet F4100. After a bit of fiddling I discovered the fix (at least it worked for my model HP).
Just select whatever you want to print, then open Print window (Command 'P'). You want to see the Full printer info window, the one that asks you how many copies you want and what paper size, etc. If you get the little window, just click the little arrow to the right of where it says the name of your printer. Okay, now you have the main Print window, so again, next to where it says the name of your printer click on the pop-up menu and click on 'Add Printer'. You will get another window where the name of your current printer will again appear. Select that, then click 'Add'. Yet another window should appear that will prompt you to 'download' or 'install' the 'software' for the selected printer (which is your EXISTING printer - don't be confused). Then it's just a matter of waiting till the computer connects with the website to download the 'new' Snow Leopard driver. I realize it doesn't sound correct having to re-select your own printer using 'Add Printer', as if it is a totally different one. But the reasons are complicated. It has to do with the fact that the new Snow Leopard does not come with the dozens of drivers that the older OS had, so when you convert to Snow Leopard, it does not recognize the existing printer as the 'Default' printer -- you must re-select it as an 'Additional' printer in order for it to say, 'Oh, here's something new, so I must go to the internet to find the correct driver for it.'
All I can say is that is how it worked for my printer. It's possible that Apple has not made every driver available for all HP products. But, so far as I have read, virtually all HP printers as well as other common printers, have software available online for Snow Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

To all HP owners: HP has issued a Snow Leopard update for the printers they are currently supporting for Mac OS X. If you have an HP printer installed you should get an update notification that new drivers are available. I just downloaded them today along with the new iTunes 9.0.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

It breaks the HP 3.1 drivers for HP Photosmart C5100. I'm going to reinstall and see if they work again with the new 2.1 drivers published today.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I'm afraid. I've got a 5100 series also.

My HP is still working just fine with the last HP drivers/software I had installed from their site and it's showing the HP update for mine.

Think I'll pass on it until I switch my SD! backup to SL. Not quite ready to do that yet.

edit: Come to think of it, I'll pass on the .1 update until a new backup.
Haven't seen any of those issues either.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Note: Merged Duplicate Threads

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
I'm afraid. I've got a 5100 series also.

My HP is still working just fine with the last HP drivers/software I had installed from their site and it's showing the HP update for mine.

Think I'll pass on it until I switch my SD! backup to SL. Not quite ready to do that yet.

edit: Come to think of it, I'll pass on the .1 update until a new backup.
Haven't seen any of those issues either.
Yeah, mine has worked consistently with the original drivers "HP_Installer_PSC5100_v9.7b.dmg" circa Nov 2007. A previous update from Apple broke them, so I had to remove the Apple supplied HP drivers, run the ununinstaller for the HP Photosmart bundled software, and reinstall the HP Photosmart software. I hesitated to update this time, but wasn't thinking. Ugh!

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Hugo_Song

Hugo_Song is on a distinguished road

the lastest leopard update has been released , Seems it can solve this kinda problems
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

Several uninstalls, reinstalls and attempted restores from Time Machine... still not working. I can't print or scan from the 2 Mac's I applied the update to. The remaining two are just fine. Done with it for tonight.

QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

I just tried the new drivers for my HP and they work fine, at least for printing - have not had time to check out the scan feature.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« snow leopard mid-installation freeze | Color Profile »