Unhappy Holy crap everything is gone from my hard-disk...except not really!
    Hello, I started up my computer this morning only to have a nice blue clean desktop, exactly what I had when I first bought my computer. Last night I had fishes for a desktop and a clutter of folders. ****. My itunes are gone, my photos are gone, everything seems to be GONE. Although, when I started up, the last folder i was using was still there, so not everything was gone, and I see signs of when certain applications were installed with dates from 2007, etc. I finally realized all hope is not gone, and it.is.here.somewhere. I also found it strange that the user name I had changed last night was changed back to the original... If I go to my Users folder in the hard-disk, I have 3 folders, one with the current user (which is a clean spanking new hard-disk), my name, and a shared folder. What I would like is to somehow revert this ''my name folder'' to the actual user as it had been before. Now it is just a folder that isn't very functional. I am surprised that through the simple changing of the name on the little house icon, I have made a completely new user account or something. I just didn't want my dads name on there anymore, and instead wanted my name... If anyone has any idea how to change this, it would be greatly appreciated. I am also very sorry if this has been discussed before. I searched the forum, but was unable to find anything that I thought was pertinent (I am a bit of a computer retard, so it is possible it was talked about and I didnt exactly understand that it was pertinent to my case). Thanks in advance.

Katie

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Mac OS X 10.3, 10.4 or later: Return to default desktop, apparent "loss" of home directory

Read it carefully and follow the steps. All should be normal after a reboot.

How do you go to /Users in Finder? The only way I can go to the Users folder is through the Mac hard-disk icon on the desktop, and then the rest of the instructions don't make any sense. :/

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by katiehine View Post
    How do you go to /Users in Finder? The only way I can go to the Users folder is through the Mac hard-disk icon on the desktop, and then the rest of the instructions don't make any sense. :/
    Right. When you double-click the Macintosh HD icon, you are invoking the Finder. So, you've done exactly as you're supposed to.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Thread Information