New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.6 - Real MS exchange

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DeathtoToasters

DeathtoToasters has a spectacular aura about

I got my SL upgrade today and before I upgrade I just wanted to know if anyone has actually tested the Microsoft Exchange support?

I use my Blackberry with my MS exchange server and on my MBP I use entourage. Is the support for the exchange server in the apple programs (ical, imail, etc) the same as in entourage? As I update mail, contacts, calender, it will update the exchange server?

Any one got any first hand knowledge or experience with this?

Thanks
DTT

"Death to Toasters" - John Connor

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"The Heavens will run red with Blood, but in the End, As Always, Thanos will Stand Triumphant!" - Thanos
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Unfortunately Apple is not completely honest about the "out of the box support for Exchange". Here is a good read.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

It works, so long as you're using Exchange Server 2007. Compared to Entourage, it adds some features and lacks others.

As always, Mail and iCal are faster than Entourage. Their interfaces are less cluttered. iCal will show conference rooms and other resources properly, not as contacts like Entourage does. iCal will display multiple Exchange calendars overlaid in the same window; Entourage requires separate windows that each cover whole screen, so it's difficult to compare calendars. Mail supports hyperlinks in messages; Entourage doesn't. Mail's spam filter works better than Entourage's did.

On the other hand, Entourage supports Exchange categories, and can theoretically sync notes and tasks to the Exchange server. (Doesn't work for me.) iCal doesn't support this. Also, Entourage has Projects (which will never sync to Exchange) and supports links between messages and/or events, which are nice.

There's really no reason not to use Mail/iCal/Address Book if you have Snow Leopard and use Exchange. Since everything is stored on the server anyway, you can use Apple's applications and Entourage at the same time, and go back and forth if you need a particular feature. I use Mail and iCal most of the time now, but I haven't gotten rid of Entourage, either.

Neither supports server side rules, and neither is as capable as Outlook.

I have no doubt that Apple will add better Exchange support in future versions of OS X, and Microsoft has already promised a Mac version of Outlook in the next release of Office.
Quote:
Originally Posted by novicew View Post
Unfortunately Apple is not completely honest about the "out of the box support for Exchange". Here is a good read.
There is nothing dishonest about what Apple has said, in that article or anywhere else. Apple never said it was producing a Windows Outlook clone. And that article is over a year old, long before Snow Leopard came out, so he was just speculating and several of his points are inaccurate.
QUOTE Thanks
DeathtoToasters

I am having a heck of a time getting the native programs (imail, ical, address book) to find my exchange server......hmmmm

"The Heavens will run red with Blood, but in the End, As Always, Thanos will Stand Triumphant!" - Thanos
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Are you sure that your Exchange servers are running 2007?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
DeathtoToasters

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Are you sure that your Exchange servers are running 2007?
I confirmed that it is 2007.

What is happening for example.

I ical, I setup everything then I see the 'name' that I used on the left side of the calender screen. There is a ~ looking icon to the right of the name. I click on it, then it asks me for an email address. I enter the email address associated with the exchange server....I enter it then nothing happens from there.

QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Did you set up the account in Mail first?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhoto 2009 Export Error | Snow Leopard question »