New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.6 - Major Snow Leopard upgrade problem - all documents gone!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

officemanager

officemanager is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone,

Just a bit ago I finished the upgrade to Snow Leopard on my work machine. Everything went without a hitch until I logged back in after the upgrade... it's as if my account has been reset to a brand new account. All icons are gone on the desktop, my doc is reset, and worst of all the Documents folder is empty save one new file dropped into it during the installation! As far as I can tell the Documents really are gone, they don't exist anywhere on the hard drive.

Obviously this is a horrific problem... from my searching online I can't find anyone else who has experienced this. Thankfully I have Time Machine working and am restoring the lost files now.

Has anyone else seen mention of this happening to others?

Jacob
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

What installation method did you use when installing 10.6?

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I don't see how that possible unless you reformatted the HDD. Then installed.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Is there any possibility you renamed the user account before you did the upgrade?
QUOTE Thanks
officemanager

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
What installation method did you use when installing 10.6?
I don't recall it giving me an option for different install methods, I guess whatever the default is. I popped in the disk, ran the installer app, I think I had an option to do a "Custom" install (or something like that) which I didn't do. I guess I assumed going the default route would be a plain upgrade.

But it obviously didn't do a wipe and install... my applications are still installed and the user accounts are still there. It's like it just wiped my Desktop, Documents, and settings.
QUOTE Thanks
officemanager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Is there any possibility you renamed the user account before you did the upgrade?
Nope. I'm logged in with the same username/password right now, and if I look at the accounts list it's the same as before the upgrade.
QUOTE Thanks
officemanager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
I don't see how that possible unless you reformatted the HDD. Then installed.
Definitely didn't do that... as I mentioned in a post a moment ago, what is gone seems to be selective. The system's user accounts are still there, the applications I've installed (like Firefox) are still there, but things unique to my account are gone.
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

I'm assuming you have never backed up your Documents on an external drive or even a flash drive?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

You did make a backup prior to the install, yes?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
officemanager

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd51 View Post
I'm assuming you have never backed up your Documents on an external drive or even a flash drive?
As I mentioned in the first post, they're backed up with Time Machine and are restoring right now.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

This is really a strange issue. I have not seen anyone so far have this with 10.6. I wonder what went wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
ZOZO

ZOZO is on a distinguished road

A friend of mine just lost all the files on her MacBook desktop.

Her ailises no longer connect with her files.

She can open the documents in Word however.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOZO View Post
A friend of mine just lost all the files on her MacBook desktop.

Her ailises no longer connect with her files.

She can open the documents in Word however.
Sounds like she renamed her home directory somewhere along the way.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
muzzy

muzzy is on a distinguished road

>HELP

Can someone help me, I have the same problem.
Since I ve installed mac os x Leopard it's like if my account was new...
- MY DOCUMENTS ARE GONE -
I have no idea what happened but I didn't have my Time machine on
so I don't have a backup and I really don't know what to do now.

I try not to panic. Can someone please help me??
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
>HELP

Can someone help me, I have the same problem.
Since I ve installed mac os x Leopard it's like if my account was new...
- MY DOCUMENTS ARE GONE -
I have no idea what happened but I didn't have my Time machine on
so I don't have a backup and I really don't know what to do now.

I try not to panic. Can someone please help me??
Did this happen immediately following the upgrade, or later after you used the system for a some time?

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Keeping OSX "Awake" | Quark XPress PowerMath XTension »