New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.6 - Partitioning and bootable Mac OS

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iCure

iCure can only hope to improve

Guys.. i wonder how to install a bootable Mac Os on my hardrive..having an external bootable installer is enough for me to save toasting dvds..

this is the situation

1. i have 160gb Portable hardrive and i want to partition it into 5 ..

2. i already partitioned it into 5 part.. 5gb for Tiger OS, 10gb for Leopard , 20gb for Snow leopard, 100gb for my backup , and 25gb for my apps..

3. i want to have 3 bootable installer drives "Mac Os Install" , TIger, leopard and Snow Leopard.. the problem is i dont know how to do it... i tried to copy it and nothing happens.. i have a dmg file of Tiger Os, Leopard, and Snow Leopard.. but i tried several ways to have a bootable Mac Os installer and i failed too..

i have PowerbookG4 and MBP13".. need your genius idea to help me out here.. thanks and more power..

Ps.. i dont know where to put this thread please move it to proper thread thanks
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

1)First off, make sure that the partitions you create are bootable. When selecting number of partitions in Disk Utility(DU), you also have to select GUID Partition Table or Apple Partition Map depending on the type of Mac you are trying to boot it from.

2)Now insert the installation DVD and create an image using the DU.

3)Use the Restore option in DU to copy all the files from the image to the HDD partition.

If you did everything correct, the newly created partition should appear on your System Preferences > Startup Disk.

To select the boot partition, press and hold the Option key during bootup.

Repeat the same for other OS X versions.
QUOTE Thanks
iCure

iCure can only hope to improve

okay novicew. i will try that.... tnx
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Remove User | Connect to Server on wifi Network Connect »