New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.6 - Snow Leopard Installed - Issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Fireplug

Fireplug is on a distinguished road

Installed Snow Leopard in my imac 20" 2.4, 4 gigs memory. Inserted the disk and followed the instructions with no modifications, it installed in 51 minutes.
First off I noticed my "Used" hard drive space went from 260.36 to 272.3GB, thought it was suppose to drop.
Second, I got an extra 185 email duplicates.
Third, when my ical synchronized with my ME.Com calendar, it multiplied one of my recurring entries - not a big deal, but a small hassle.
Forth, when you zoom in on a page using the "Control" + mouse wheel, it zooms in fine, but you can't move the mouse around the page and have the page move. You can only scroll up and down.
This is all I have found so far, could be minor issues that could be fixed by most easily, but I am new to the Mac system.
QUOTE Thanks
Zeptogram

Zeptogram is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: BlackBook 2 GHz 2GB RAM 120GB HDD

Well, the only thing I've had to deal with that you've gone through is the second one. I have no real explanations for any these issues. Hope it gets figured out, I'll look into it some more.
QUOTE Thanks
Fireplug

Safari is slow as molasses, when I try to close Firefox I click on the Firefox tab and as I move down the drop-down box to close Firefox, it switches over to the apple tab before I can click on the close button.

Anxiously awaiting the Software Update.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

You've got lots of issues. What I suggest is to reinstall Snow Leopard, but this time install it clean. But before you wipe the drive and do a clean install, make a full Time Machine backup. After the clean install of Snow Leopard completes, it'll ask you if you wish to restore from a Time Machine backup. Select restore - make sure your external drive with the Time Machine backup is mounted. The process will take awhile depending on how much there is to restore.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Fireplug

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.
I might just have to try your idea, I've been hesitant/scared to try that as I am new to the Mac, but the steps you provided sound good and do-able.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

And if SL runs similar to Leopard, it will take about 3 updates to get it just right. X.5 was a different cat to say X.5.3 after a couple of tune ups.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

As for the zoom, you cant move the page, but the zoom works on where you point the mouse..... for instance, if you point on the first word of this reply, it will zoom from that point.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

1. Normal: Apple now lists your harddrive as having more space overall - it's a marketing vs. technical thing

2. & 3. Meh?
4. System preferences > Universal access > zoom > options >"screen image moves..."

Personally I wouldn't bother reinstalling... these are all most likely preference / configuration issues.
QUOTE Thanks
Fireplug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
1. Normal: Apple now lists your harddrive as having more space overall - it's a marketing vs. technical thing

2. & 3. Meh?
4. System preferences > Universal access > zoom > options >"screen image moves..."

Personally I wouldn't bother reinstalling... these are all most likely preference / configuration issues.
Thanks a lot, your suggestion for #4 worked. I have a lot to learn about the Mac, but I will never go back to a PC.
QUOTE Thanks
Fireplug

Well, I did the clean install after backing everything up to an external HD, and now all seems to be working correctly. WooHoo! Thanks for the help chscag.

Hard drive space is the same, but Safari is running faster now, and all other issues solved.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Appearance question | Problems with custom icons and transparency »