New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - How I solved my SMB problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jbw52

jbw52 is on a distinguished road

I was having a terrible time getting my OS X 10.5.7 Mac to connect with Windows shares. The first problem was that when I went to "Connect to server" I would get the message "the text entered does not appear to be a recognized url format". I tried everything including the Apple fix. That did nothing. After doing lots of researching and reading I found something that suggested that I do a "repair permissions". I replaced the folder URLMOUNT to it's original location and then I went into the disk utility and clicked on the the "repair disk permissions" button. I let it do it's thing and when I read the log it created I saw that it had repaired the permissions on the URLMOUNT folder. I rebooted the Mac and went into "Connect to server" and voila, it was fixed. Unfortunately I still could not connect to a Windows share. After fooling around with the Windows computer for a while, changing users and passwords to no avail, I decided to open the console to see if there were any errors there that would give me a clue. Lo and behold I saw the following in the console:

9/1/09 6:44:32 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.smbfs_load_kext[232]) posix_spawnp("/System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext/Contents/Resources/load_smbfs", ...): No such file or directory

At that point I launched "Pacifist" and found the original "smbfs.kext" file on my install DVD and copied it to the appropriate folder using "Pacifist". This time I did not even have to reboot, all of my Windows shares showed up in the Network.

I am a happy camper now. And I have only been working with a Mac for four days.

I hope this helps some of you who may be having similar problems.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Snow Leopard upgrade question | Trasmission Issues. »