Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Snow Leopard upgrade question

    Member Since
    Sep 02, 2009
    Posts
    4
    Snow Leopard upgrade question
    I recently bought a mac at best buy, and I got the Geeksquad optimization (not my choice, believe me), and now I know very little about installing the OS, which leads me to my question.

    If I were to do a format when upgrading Leopard, is there any way I could get iLife back without buying it again? I know my computer came with an application install dvd -- does this have iLife, or just basic applications?

    Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    Snow Leopard upgrade question
    toMACsh's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 30, 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,828
    Specs:
    Mac Mini Core 2 Duo
    Yes, but I think you want the box set, which includes Snow Leopard, and the '09 versions of iLife and iWork. As I understand it, the previous versions will not run as well if you just upgrade the OS.

    They used to give you a break if you bought a new Mac within so many months/weeks of new software releases. I haven't seen info about that this time, but it might be worth checking into that possibility.

  3. #3
    Snow Leopard upgrade question

    Member Since
    Sep 02, 2009
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
    Yes, but I think you want the box set, which includes Snow Leopard, and the '09 versions of iLife and iWork. As I understand it, the previous versions will not run as well if you just upgrade the OS.
    The iMac is new and has the latest version of iLife, so am I all set?

  4. #4
    Snow Leopard upgrade question

    Member Since
    Sep 02, 2009
    Posts
    4
    lolbumplol

  5. #5
    Snow Leopard upgrade question
    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,758
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradoxitor View Post
    I recently bought a mac at best buy, and I got the Geeksquad optimization (not my choice, believe me), and now I know very little about installing the OS, which leads me to my question.
    Just for future reference, and those that read this thread, the Geek Squad's optimization is mostly aimed at Windows machines. It essentially cleans out the "crapware" that is included with most PCs. There is no "crapware" on Macs, nor is there any kind of optimization the script kiddies at the Geek Squad can do. In this case, they probably booted the machine, registered it for you and merrily charged your credit card.

    You are NOT required to purchase this service no matter how hard they try to sell it. Best Buy's margins are so slim, they require their sales people to push a certain number of these services and they will certainly make you think that you have to purchase it. DO NOT, it is a scam.

    If I were to do a format when upgrading Leopard, is there any way I could get iLife back without buying it again? I know my computer came with an application install dvd -- does this have iLife, or just basic applications?

    Thanks for any help.
    The System Discs that were provided with your computer contain both the original OS it was sold with and the iLife suite.

    However, there is no need to format and start all over again. If you just pop in the Snow Leopard disc, it will do a simple upgrade and all of your data and apps will be retained.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  6. #6
    Snow Leopard upgrade question
    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,758
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
    Yes, but I think you want the box set, which includes Snow Leopard, and the '09 versions of iLife and iWork. As I understand it, the previous versions will not run as well if you just upgrade the OS.

    They used to give you a break if you bought a new Mac within so many months/weeks of new software releases. I haven't seen info about that this time, but it might be worth checking into that possibility.
    iLife and iWork '08 both run fine on Snow Leopard. Leopard users can upgrade simply by purchasing the $29 upgrade. In fact, if the computer was bought sometime between the beginning of June and now, you are eligible for a $10 "up-to-date" version.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  7. #7
    Snow Leopard upgrade question

    Member Since
    Sep 02, 2009
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Just for future reference, and those that read this thread, the Geek Squad's optimization is mostly aimed at Windows machines. It essentially cleans out the "crapware" that is included with most PCs. There is no "crapware" on Macs, nor is there any kind of optimization the script kiddies at the Geek Squad can do. In this case, they probably booted the machine, registered it for you and merrily charged your credit card.

    You are NOT required to purchase this service no matter how hard they try to sell it. Best Buy's margins are so slim, they require their sales people to push a certain number of these services and they will certainly make you think that you have to purchase it. DO NOT, it is a scam.



    The System Discs that were provided with your computer contain both the original OS it was sold with and the iLife suite.

    However, there is no need to format and start all over again. If you just pop in the Snow Leopard disc, it will do a simple upgrade and all of your data and apps will be retained.
    I didn't want to get it, but it wasn't my choice. Seeing as its not entirely my purchase, it was mostly my moms choice to get it because they said they made it "faster", I tried to explain to her that it was a rip off but they insisted it was worth every penny

    Thanks for the help though, and I don't really know why - but I always preferred clean installs instead of updates.

  8. #8
    Snow Leopard upgrade question
    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,758
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradoxitor View Post
    I didn't want to get it, but it wasn't my choice. Seeing as its a family computer, it was mostly my moms choice to get it because they said they made it "faster", I tried to explain to her that it was a rip off but they insisted it was worth every penny

    Thanks for the help though, and I don't really know why - but I always preferred clean installs instead of updates.

    Thanks for the help though.
    With the way Snow Leopard does the upgrade, it is essentially the same as a clean install.

    The old OS is completely removed and the new one installed, then the apps and user profiles are imported back in. There is no need for a clean install.

    My advice to you would be to check the Windows mentality at the door, OS X is a different bird entirely.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  9. #9
    Snow Leopard upgrade question
    toMACsh's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 30, 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,828
    Specs:
    Mac Mini Core 2 Duo
    Found this at AppleInsider:

    The Mac OS X Snow Leopard Up-to-Date upgrade package is available to all customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller between June 8, 2009 and the end of the program on December 26, 2009

  10. #10
    Snow Leopard upgrade question

    Member Since
    May 15, 2008
    Location
    Cape Cod
    Posts
    112
    Specs:
    2006 macbook, 2009 mac mini
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    With the way Snow Leopard does the upgrade, it is essentially the same as a clean install.

    The old OS is completely removed and the new one installed, then the apps and user profiles are imported back in. There is no need for a clean install.

    My advice to you would be to check the Windows mentality at the door, OS X is a different bird entirely.
    This is correct: just put in the disk ( snow leopard) it will upgrade and keep all your settings. Get snow leopard for $10. Simple. I upgraded from tiger and all my files and settings and applications where saved to snow leopard. ( I had to use the box set)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-11-2012, 01:42 PM
  2. Upgrade from Leopard to snow Leopard in Mac Pro
    By wil in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-15-2010, 03:24 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-10-2010, 05:09 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-08-2009, 12:34 PM
  5. tiger vs leopard vs snow leopard - upgrade advice
    By k01f15h in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-20-2009, 06:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •